The best thing about keeping T's is...

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Because you get to witness this..from the sling on its back after a molt,to flipping
upright.And ready to take on the world again.In 2 and 1/2 hours.

Attachments

KenNet

Arachnosquire
The jaw dropping beauty in everything they do. If it's a day long rearrange of the enclosure, or the split of of a second when they take down their pray... Over and over again, it just amaze me how fascinating and beautiful animals they are.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Watching my sling constantly rearrange its enclosure and substrate! Every day it is drastically different.

She (he??) Is currently excavating dirt to build a giant hill over her water dish. I am guessing I'll find it buried in the next couple of days! Is it weird to be excited by this?:sorry::sorry::sorry:

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
-Recycling plastic containers

-Dealing with them has actually helped my anxiety. It's a little easier to deal with people after dealing with Ts.

KNV

Arachnopeon
I am still a new keeper, but I got so much joy after my two little slings molted.

The A. Chalcodes cleaned up its own molt and placed its molt off to the side of its burrow. Unfortunately, it has been real shy and does not come out of its burrow as much as when I first got it. I have notices an increase in webbing around its burrow and I know that it has been excavating because so much has been moved around.

The G. Porteri, on the other hand, is not shy at all and only runs for its burrow when I mess with its enclosure too much. It is also a little excavator and made a giant mound of dirt and pebbles off to one side. It molted as well but left its molt in the burrow, until I checked this morning and it too has cleaned out its burrow. Too bad both of them are too small for me to sex yet.

As for my B. Cabocla, its buried itself after its only meal and has yet to emerge. It has been at least three months since I have seen this little dude, but I am being patient and letting them emerge when they will.

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I seriously love everything about the hobby. For starters, I can’t think of any other animal in the world that has a more bad ass anatomy than a tarantula. It’s an eight legged tank with two daggers!!! Ha!

What’s always fascinated me is seeing how each species behaves differently than the next. I love how evolution has adapted the look of each species to their natural environment and how beautiful they are to one another!

Tarantula keeping is such a unique and incredible hobby because it also causes you to learn about the world around you while you research each species on proper care. You discover different climates around the world and become familiar with each tarantulas specific needs.

Having small children has also taken the hobby to a whole new level for me! I absolutely love teaching my girls about the different species and explaining how they grow and feed. Kids are a sponge and a child’s mind can never be filled with enough science! My five year old daughter looked at me while handling a 1.5” Brachypelma Hamorri a few weeks back and said, “Dada, I’m like a spider scientist!” That made me feel incredible! :)

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
You get to see an animal that is as enthusiastic about removing plastic lids from its environment as humans are trying to be

WiltedRoseGold

Arachnopeon
Starting this thread for a bit of fun, it's your opinion so there's no right or wrong answer's.
For me I love the idea of being able to keep a whole arachno-zoo of inverts from all different environments and areas on a single set of shelves.

The best thing about keeping tarantulas and inverts is .....
The beauty of them, and sharing your knowledge of them to others.

Moebius

Arachnopeon
Primary advantage;
When arachnocide takes place and the Great Arachne scuttles out of the World Wide Web to usurp humanity, by maintaining her progeny and foot-soldiers I shall be spared to be eaten last, put out of my suffering quickly by an unseen jumping spider ninja vs the horrible fate that lies in wait for others. Believe me, it's horrible; unthinkable levels of vinegar smell and chemical bombardments by her vinegaroons, solpugid chelicera in not so fun places, repeated OBT bites to put the populace into complacency... whip-scorpion linbs up the nostril tickling ya. Nope, not for me!

Just think of it. Jumping spider ninjas. It'll be a YouTube thing inevitably, and a sign of the end. :p

krbshappy71

Arachnosquire
...that it turned my fear response into a caring, respectful, careful response. Why yes, I have had to use a deli cup and cardboard, and didn't panic! :)

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
All of the above

However one of the most rewarding things about the hobby has to do with presentations. Changing the views many have concerning these creatures is amazing. I've had the opportunity to see the change a few times.

One of the missionaries at church had the opportunity to feed my B. hamorii, B. schroederi and A. geniculata, and overcame any fear. Now that missionary is making plans to potentially get into the hobby. First time I've seen someone eager to partake in this hobby soon after a mini presentation.

It's things like the above that remind me of what I love about this hobby. I'll keep doing these presentations. I have something planned if I get to do a presentation at the high school I graduated from (I intend to donate a sling or three if I get any sacs before then)