Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

The best thing about keeping T's is...

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Rhino1, Jul 4, 2019.

1. The Seraph

The Seraph Arachnolord Active Member

USA
    Advertisement
    Their personalities. I love how they all have their own quirks and what seems to be a personality.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  2. mack1855

mack1855 Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

Because you get to witness this..from the sling on its back after a molt,to flipping
    upright.And ready to take on the world again.In 2 and 1/2 hours.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. KenNet

KenNet Arachnopeon

The jaw dropping beauty in everything they do. If it's a day long rearrange of the enclosure, or the split of of a second when they take down their pray... Over and over again, it just amaze me how fascinating and beautiful animals they are.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. ccTroi

ccTroi Arachnoknight Arachnosupporter

takedowns

5. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

A lot, indeed... but collecting doilies and fire alarms (like Jon3800) brings everything to another level :yawn:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Brachyfan

Brachyfan Arachnoknight Active Member

Watching my sling constantly rearrange its enclosure and substrate! Every day it is drastically different.

She (he??) Is currently excavating dirt to build a giant hill over her water dish. I am guessing I'll find it buried in the next couple of days! Is it weird to be excited by this?:sorry::sorry::sorry:

• Like Like x 1
  7. -Recycling plastic containers

-Dealing with them has actually helped my anxiety. It's a little easier to deal with people after dealing with Ts.

• Like Like x 3
  8. KNV

KNV Arachnopeon

I am still a new keeper, but I got so much joy after my two little slings molted.

The A. Chalcodes cleaned up its own molt and placed its molt off to the side of its burrow. Unfortunately, it has been real shy and does not come out of its burrow as much as when I first got it. I have notices an increase in webbing around its burrow and I know that it has been excavating because so much has been moved around.

The G. Porteri, on the other hand, is not shy at all and only runs for its burrow when I mess with its enclosure too much. It is also a little excavator and made a giant mound of dirt and pebbles off to one side. It molted as well but left its molt in the burrow, until I checked this morning and it too has cleaned out its burrow. Too bad both of them are too small for me to sex yet.

As for my B. Cabocla, its buried itself after its only meal and has yet to emerge. It has been at least three months since I have seen this little dude, but I am being patient and letting them emerge when they will.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Aarantula

Aarantula Arachnobaron Old Timer

NJ
    I seriously love everything about the hobby. For starters, I can’t think of any other animal in the world that has a more bad ass anatomy than a tarantula. It’s an eight legged tank with two daggers!!! Ha!

What’s always fascinated me is seeing how each species behaves differently than the next. I love how evolution has adapted the look of each species to their natural environment and how beautiful they are to one another!

Tarantula keeping is such a unique and incredible hobby because it also causes you to learn about the world around you while you research each species on proper care. You discover different climates around the world and become familiar with each tarantulas specific needs.

Having small children has also taken the hobby to a whole new level for me! I absolutely love teaching my girls about the different species and explaining how they grow and feed. Kids are a sponge and a child’s mind can never be filled with enough science! My five year old daughter looked at me while handling a 1.5” Brachypelma Hamorri a few weeks back and said, “Dada, I’m like a spider scientist!” That made me feel incredible! :)

• Like Like x 4
  10. RezonantVoid

RezonantVoid Hollow Knight Arachnosupporter

You get to see an animal that is as enthusiastic about removing plastic lids from its environment as humans are trying to be

• Funny Funny x 6
  11. WiltedRoseGold

WiltedRoseGold Arachnopeon

The beauty of them, and sharing your knowledge of them to others.

• Like Like x 2
  12. velvetundergrowth

velvetundergrowth Lobopro Arachnosupporter

That girls won't ask me out.

• Funny Funny x 6
  13. RezonantVoid

RezonantVoid Hollow Knight Arachnosupporter

For most of us, we don't need T's to fall into that category :hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Primary advantage;
    When arachnocide takes place and the Great Arachne scuttles out of the World Wide Web to usurp humanity, by maintaining her progeny and foot-soldiers I shall be spared to be eaten last, put out of my suffering quickly by an unseen jumping spider ninja vs the horrible fate that lies in wait for others. Believe me, it's horrible; unthinkable levels of vinegar smell and chemical bombardments by her vinegaroons, solpugid chelicera in not so fun places, repeated OBT bites to put the populace into complacency... whip-scorpion linbs up the nostril tickling ya. Nope, not for me!

Just think of it. Jumping spider ninjas. It'll be a YouTube thing inevitably, and a sign of the end. :p

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
  15. FrDoc

FrDoc Gen. 1:24-25 Arachnosupporter

Getting another one.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. krbshappy71

krbshappy71 Arachnosquire

...that it turned my fear response into a caring, respectful, careful response. Why yes, I have had to use a deli cup and cardboard, and didn't panic! :)

• Like Like x 4
  17. Rigor Mortis

Rigor Mortis Arachnoknight Active Member

Learning about their behaviour and getting to watch them, even if they do nothing!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Asgiliath

Asgiliath Arachnoknight Active Member

definitely the avic poop.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Pigeons in another life.
    "So, what's in that enclosure?"
    "A spider that likes think it's the prettiest flying rat you ever did see. But mostly poop."

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnolord Active Member

All of the above

However one of the most rewarding things about the hobby has to do with presentations. Changing the views many have concerning these creatures is amazing. I've had the opportunity to see the change a few times.

One of the missionaries at church had the opportunity to feed my B. hamorii, B. schroederi and A. geniculata, and overcame any fear. Now that missionary is making plans to potentially get into the hobby. First time I've seen someone eager to partake in this hobby soon after a mini presentation.

It's things like the above that remind me of what I love about this hobby. I'll keep doing these presentations. I have something planned if I get to do a presentation at the high school I graduated from (I intend to donate a sling or three if I get any sacs before then)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.