The best display spiders? (hasn't been a thread for a year and I'm curious)

matypants

Arachnopeon
An ongoing thread concerning A. geniculata vs L. parahybana has me wondering what some of the best display tarantulas might be? I've read some of the other threads but things change and I'm curious about what current thoughts are on this?

CEOAirsoft

Arachnopeon
I like my Chaco Golden Knee. She never hides and is always showing off her black and gold contrast. Plus gets pretty large.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
A.geniculata wins hands down, I've never, never, never saw a juve/adult of mines in more than two decades of T's using an hide! (And I always offer a piece of old good cork bark).

They are always out in the open, no matter how many eyes watching, including those kind of lovely and bizarre flying monsters full of eyes :-s

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
A. genic, C. cyaneopubescens, T. cyaneolum, E. campestratus just to name a few.

matypants

Arachnopeon
My A. genic NEVER uses her hide either. GBB's are certainly one I need to have. And Thrixopelma cyaneolum are just so little and cute!

There is a show coming up and I'm hoping they have something to bring home.

CindyMoon

Arachnopeon
C. cyaneopubescens, B. auratum, P. ornata or P.regalis ... Or S.calceatum. Literally just all of them.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
A well designed pokie enclosure is a nice addition to any living room..
While poecs can be secretive they are often visible..

matypants

Arachnopeon
The Brachypelma genus I can deal with but Poecilotheria and Stromatopelma are way out of my league lol.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For display, the A. geniculata and the Pamphobeteus sp. (Ecuador purple and P. nigricolor) are great - none of them seem at all interested in using their hides. They're always out in the open - and they are ferocious eating machines! I like the colors of the GBBs, but those things are pretty much always in their little web tubes. The P. vittata and T. stirmi are my most reclusive spiders - I pretty much never see them unless I go in at night. (The stirmi may be getting ready to molt, though - she's recently webbed up the opening to her hide. Either that or she could be getting ready to lay eggs? :eek: I believe she's wild caught, so anything's possible.)

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Avicularia metallica
Acanthoscurria geniculata

These two are always out and about showing off their coolness.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
An ongoing thread concerning A. geniculata vs L. parahybana has me wondering what some of the best display tarantulas might be? I've read some of the other threads but things change and I'm curious about what current thoughts are on this?

My Pamphobeteus Platyommas stay out most of the time and I love the black Christmas on the orange abdomen reminds me of Halloween.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
B. emilia
Anything Euathlus
M. robustum (always out, but it'll scurry at the slightest disturbance!)
A. geniculata
A. seemanni
A. chalcodes
L. parahybana

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
B. emilia
Anything Euathlus
A. geniculata
A. seemanni
A. chalcodes
L. parahybana
I know I've bought an M robustum juvenile female at some point the problem is I think she's moved out all I have is holes and ant hills.
My Megaphobema mesomelas juvenile is always 100% out and about.
Others that are always out are
B emilia
G pulchra
T cyaneolum
T sp cajamarca
P sp mascara
G pulchripes
B auratum

mistertim

Arachnobaron
+1 for A. genic and GBB. I have never once seen my genic in its hide. They're always out and about. Pretty much the same with a GBB, though they will web so heavily sometimes that they can pretty much disappear inside their web dens. As far as arboreals, my P. cambridgei is out quite a bit. My Pokies are still slings so they tend to hide a decent amount when they're younger, but my P. regalis and P. metallica are both "out" most of the time, though my regalis tends to be much more chill than my metallica (who is a complete spaz and does laps at the slightest disturbance).

matypants

Arachnopeon
B. emilia
Anything Euathlus
A. geniculata
A. seemanni
A. chalcodes
L. parahybana
One of your vids already sold me on Brachypelma emilia. I pretty much have to have one now.

+1 for A. genic and GBB. I have never once seen my genic in its hide. They're always out and about. Pretty much the same with a GBB, though they will web so heavily sometimes that they can pretty much disappear inside their web dens. As far as arboreals, my P. cambridgei is out quite a bit. My Pokies are still slings so they tend to hide a decent amount when they're younger, but my P. regalis and P. metallica are both "out" most of the time, though my regalis tends to be much more chill than my metallica (who is a complete spaz and does laps at the slightest disturbance).
I love my A. genic. It's my only T at the moment. I'm down to one. I love the looks and husbandry requirements of the GBB but they seem so fast. And I'm sure a P. cambridgei is above my skill and experience.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I love my A. genic. It's my only T at the moment. I'm down to one. I love the looks and husbandry requirements of the GBB but they seem so fast. And I'm sure a P. cambridgei is above my skill and experience.
I would agree with your statement about P. cambridgei probably being a bit above your experience level at this time since you don't appear to have any arboreal experience yet. However, I think you would do fine with a GBB. You have experience with other NW terrestrials and while C. cyaneopubescens IS quicker than most other NW terrestrials, they aren't on the same level as Poecs, Psalmos, or baboons and are a good 2nd or 3rd tarantula IMO, especially if you want to eventually get into faster Ts (arboreals, OW, etc). You just have to make sure you're alert, use common sense, and respect their potential for short bursts of speed. They really are awesome spiders to own.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
One of your vids already sold me on Brachypelma emilia. I pretty much have to have one now.
I'm actually in the process of making a display tank for my female. Some people have fish tanks in their living rooms, I'd like to have a spider. Can't beat a pet rock, eh? They're ridiculously slow growing, though, so heads up with that.

How large is your genic? If you've got a juvie, then you can definitely handle a GBB. Genics aren't as fast, but they're definitely harder to keep than a GBB.

matypants

Arachnopeon
I would agree with your statement about P. cambridgei probably being a bit above your experience level at this time since you don't appear to have any arboreal experience yet. However, I think you would do fine with a GBB. You have experience with other NW terrestrials and while C. cyaneopubescens IS quicker than most other NW terrestrials, they aren't on the same level as Poecs, Psalmos, or baboons and are a good 2nd or 3rd tarantula IMO, especially if you want to eventually get into faster Ts (arboreals, OW, etc). You just have to make sure you're alert, use common sense, and respect their potential for short bursts of speed. They really are awesome spiders to own.
I will definitely keep that in mind. I would like to have one one day.