the beginnings of a colony (T. s. confluenciata)

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well, it finally happened. The straggler caught up, and so i now have three mature Tityus "serrulatus". i am very stoked out about this. i'll try and get a pic of the three of them together when i get home tonight. it's only a matter of time, now. I'm deeply considering not separating them once they give birth, but rather letting a colony start up on its own, although i will probably pull a few young just for the sake of security.

John

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it's only a matter of time, now.
It may take 6 months or longer for any to give birth the first time. After that its about every 4 months

I'm deeply considering not separating them once they give birth, but rather letting a colony start up on its own, although i will probably pull a few young just for the sake of security.
Tityus are much less likely to cannibalize than Centruroides however it is a pain to do it that way. You throw in some larger crickets for the adults and smaller ones in for the younguns. The adults will usually catch the small crickets before the young do and you have large crickets running around. See what I mean?

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey there Brian! havent seen you for a while
It may take 6 months or longer for any to give birth the first time. After that its about every 4 months
yeah, i've been reading up on that, but hey, what's the rush, right?

Tityus are much less likely to cannibalize than Centruroides however it is a pain to do it that way. You throw in some larger crickets for the adults and smaller ones in for the younguns. The adults will usually catch the small crickets before the young do and you have large crickets running around. See what I mean?
yea, i know what you mean. maybe i'll just set up the juveniles in their own colony and keep the adults separate.

Thanks for the imput,
John

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Like I said, it can be done that way but its sure a pain in the ass from what I have experienced. Also note, if your Tityus are small they will probably give birth to around 5 or so large young which will grow up to be larger adults. Those larger adults will probably give birth to 20+ but they will be small. I am starting to see this trend with mine. I cant say its conclusive yet as I need to observe a few more generation. Might be interesting if every other generation is large, huh?

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Like I said, it can be done that way but its sure a pain in the ass from what I have experienced. Also note, if your Tityus are small they will probably give birth to around 5 or so large young which will grow up to be larger adults. Those larger adults will probably give birth to 20+ but they will be small. I am starting to see this trend with mine. I cant say its conclusive yet as I need to observe a few more generation. Might be interesting if every other generation is large, huh?
Sounds interesting. we shall have to see, Brian. we shall have to see...

John