The Balfouri Communal

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Out of all the people that could have brought that up it ended up being a staff member. Great.

And I had heard of N. incei communal but since I hadn't heard of any recent endeavors I assumed they were similar to people keeping avics together.

Last edited:

netr

Arachnoknight
Another reportedly communal species is Heterothele villosella. Two years ago, I had 12 (if I recall) slings set up together and they seemed to do very well for a few months. Alas, I underestimated their feeding requirements and finished up with one very fat, very healthy individual. :grumpy:

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Another reportedly communal species is Heterothele villosella. Two years ago, I had 12 (if I recall) slings set up together and they seemed to do very well for a few months. Alas, I underestimated their feeding requirements and finished up with one very fat, very healthy individual. :grumpy:
I really want to set up an H. gabonensis communal but I'm worried about exactly that happening. Definitely seems like something you need a lot of husbandry experience and awareness to manage.

Bread

Arachnopeon
How come you plan to separate them?
My 10 arrive Monday and will be together forever :kiss:

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
How come you plan to separate them?
My 10 arrive Monday and will be together forever :kiss:
Well I live in a tiny apartment and I would need a pretty big tank to house 14 adults. It's just not practical for me.

Bread

Arachnopeon
ah I see, Im sticking mine in a small enclosure for now, then eventually into the 80gallon fish tank I have in the garage

edi** should add thats Uk gallons, so 96 ish US gallons

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
ah I see, Im sticking mine in a small enclosure for now, then eventually into the 80gallon fish tank I have in the garage

That is going to be fantastic, especially once you get multiple sacs.

tnerd93

Arachnopeon

lol did you make that bread?

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
I have a few from him. I wasn't looking for any, but thanks! Just saying I don't see them offered as regularly as I used to. I don't know why either I think they are great Ts, very interesting, very aggressive eaters, yet extremely shy. Plus, they don't have urticating setae!
oh no, you misunderstnad, i was saying i was trying to track down a bulk of them and ahvent seen anyone with them besides cold blood. wasnt trying to track them down for you :D. i was agreeing with you that, outside of the surge of them (which vanished quickly) that apparently came up a couple months ago, i havent seen very many people offering them.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Avicularia minatrix can be kept communally. They behave like Poecilotheria in communals.

Many, many people have, including myself. I'm amazed this is the first you're hearing about it. Maybe research, read, research, read and search some more to get caught up or are you too busy still trying to breed hybrids? ;) Clicky.
can we just remove people that have been known to recreationally hybridize tarantulas? there really have zero to offer he boards and only act as lighter fluid.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
can we just remove people that have been known to recreationally hybridize tarantulas? there really have zero to offer he boards and only act as lighter fluid.
"Recreationally" :rofl:

This entire hobby is recreational. Hence the name hobby.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Ouch that was harsh.... You sound like me.. Hmm now I like you..

But Seriously @Kodi I don't know much about your FrankenTs project and I can't judge you for past mistakes but hybridization is caustic in this hobby.
Sometimes it's a minor difference that differentiates species and it's already difficult to identify MM of some as well..

Export bans from other country's are always a possibility and if it happens we are stuck with what ever species we have from that particular country.. It's important to keep what we have pure for the future of the hobby..

I didn't come here just to dog you though.. I'm happy you had some success at raising a comunal enclosure.. I just started keeping balfouri but my advice is way more sub wether you keep them together or not..
I have a 1 incher on about 5 inches of coco husk and he went straight to the bottom and has been laying web like crazy on the surface..It seems odd to me that they are visible like that..
Maybe you have a few inches and I can't see it because of the camera angle but I'm curious as to why they aren't dug in..

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Ouch that was harsh.... You sound like me.. Hmm now I like you..

But Seriously @Kodi I don't know much about your FrankenTs project and I can't judge you for past mistakes but hybridization is caustic in this hobby.
Sometimes it's a minor difference that differentiates species and it's already difficult to identify MM of some as well..

Export bans from other country's are always a possibility and if it happens we are stuck with what ever species we have from that particular country.. It's important to keep what we have pure for the future of the hobby..

I didn't come here just to dog you though.. I'm happy you had some success at raising a comunal enclosure.. I just started keeping balfouri but my advice is way more sub wether you keep them together or not..
I have a 1 incher on about 5 inches of coco husk and he went straight to the bottom and has been laying web like crazy on the surface..It seems odd to me that they are visible like that..
Maybe you have a few inches and I can't see it because of the camera angle but I'm curious as to why they aren't dug in..
I just got them Wednesday. There's a good 3-6 inches depending on the side of the tank.
20160916_231641.jpg
A better field of view pic.
20160916_231706.jpg

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'm happy you had some success at raising a comunal enclosure.. I just started keeping balfouri but my advice is way more sub wether you keep them together or not..
+1 to this. I've got 4-5 inches in both my communal enclosures and I had multiple corkbark start burrows setup. They went right in and that helps them settle. Though they all ended up in the same burrow system they could have each had a separate burrow if they wanted it.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
There are albino insects however so there are examples of albinism in non-vertebrates.
You know why I like you viper? Hmm? It's because of this.. You teach me something new every day.. Seriously.. I had no idea that albinism occures in insects.. Very cool..

I was going to ask what species but I figured I better google it instead! ;-) The albino mantids are awesome!