The Balfouri Communal

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
I used to know of people years ago, but they are not on AB anymore. N incei used to be a lot more popular than it is now these past couple of years. I used to see them all the time.
didnt a sac or two just make its way into the circulation a couple months ago? I thought i had seen the olives all over the place for a month or two. ive been on the lookout next tiem someone gets a sac from them. looking to pick up 10 slings or so next tie i see them surface at a decent price

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
didnt a sac or two just make its way into the circulation a couple months ago? I thought i had seen the olives all over the place for a month or two. ive been on the lookout next tiem someone gets a sac from them. looking to pick up 10 slings or so next tie i see them surface at a decent price
They're sold all over the place. You just have to look under their former scientific name. Holothele incei.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I meant more frequently than I have seen them these past couple of years. They are a great species.

They're sold all over the place. You just have to look under their former scientific name. Holothele incei.
True, or under their new one :cool:

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Why is there two forms? Where did they come from?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I see, if you search google you'll find the original records showing production of the gold morph.

The N. incei Gold is the only T morph produced in captivity to my knowledge. It's really odd that out of all these pairings nothing else has come about from any other species.

Last edited:

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
I see, if you search google you'll find the original records showing production of the gold morph.

The N. incei Gold is the only T morph produced in captivity. It's really odd that out of all these pairings nothing else has come about from any other species.
Wow. Do you think it's albinism or wild crossbreeding?

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
My male finally matured and my female is about to molt.

I am also planning to put them into a large permanent enclosure for a communal later on.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Lol I have six of these and I just love the gold ones lol...but mine aren't grouped

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Lol I have six of these and I just love the gold ones lol...but mine aren't grouped
I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I almost forgot to post this picture.
20160916_004131.jpg

What do you guys think about the few darker ones? Premolt or maybe they're a molt ahead?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow. Do you think it's albinism or wild crossbreeding?
Google up their history please, they were neither. Regarding albinism. A change in color doesn't mean albino, as some people have speculated about the golds. Some of the people who have suggested this simply don't know what they are talking about.

Albinism depends on a few things. The primary one being how the color in their setae is produced.

For example, many (and likely all) blue tarantulas are not blue due to pigment. So, if the gold form is not the result of pigment it cannot be an albino.

Second, lets assume the color is a result of pigment. Then the color must be the result of a very specific change in a particular molecular pathway. If that is not the case, then they would not be albinos either. You can google up those details. You learn it better if you find it yourself than by someone just re-typing what is out there.

There are albino insects however so there are examples of albinism in non-vertebrates.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
I meant more frequently than I have seen them these past couple of years. They are a great species.

True, or under their new one :cool:

I've looked and only person who seems to have them for sale on the boards or any large dealers is cold blood. He has like 5 or six for sale if I remember right

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Avics aren't communal from what I know. Sure people keep them together at times, but that's not true communal living, that's simply tolerating your neighbor enough that you don't kill him, not my idea of communal living as often observed in captivity w/ balfouri.
Avicularia minatrix can be kept communally. They behave like Poecilotheria in communals.

Exactly my thoughts. Do you know of anyone keeping N. incei communally? Strange I haven't heard of anyone.
Many, many people have, including myself. I'm amazed this is the first you're hearing about it. Maybe research, read, research, read and search some more to get caught up or are you too busy still trying to breed hybrids? ;) Clicky.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Avicularia minatrix can be kept communally. They behave like Poecilotheria in communals.

Many, many people have, including myself. I'm amazed this is the first you're hearing about it. Maybe research, read, research, read and search some more to get caught up or are you too busy still trying to breed hybrids? ;) Clicky.
Thanks on A. minatrix and their communal behavior. I hadn't come across that one. Then again, I don't look up what species I own to learn if they can be kept communally. All my Ts get their own condo, including my balfouri.

I had forgotten Kodi was up to FrankenTs, forgot that thread! When I saw "crossbreeds" something jogged my memory but not enough. :rofl:

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've looked and only person who seems to have them for sale on the boards or any large dealers is cold blood. He has like 5 or six for sale if I remember right
I have a few from him. I wasn't looking for any, but thanks! Just saying I don't see them offered as regularly as I used to. I don't know why either I think they are great Ts, very interesting, very aggressive eaters, yet extremely shy. Plus, they don't have urticating setae!