The babies are finally here!

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, I just got done checking on my Usambara with eggsac and the spiderlings are emerging!
This is absolutely thrilling as they are gorgeous!
I am going to seperate them from the mother tomorrow. For tonight I'll cover the enclosure with netting.
Wish me luck! I'll post back with some numbers as to how many there are!

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats great ,
You gotta love those babys. Good luck with them. :D

Ernie

Can you take a pic. of the young herd, and post it ?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
oh how fun! are they still 1st instar? (eggs with legs?) or are they screaming fast at 2nd instar?
My experience with my first sac was kinda messed up since it was mostly a dud. I separated 1st instars so I could save more babies.
Was the incubation period about 7 weeks for you?
What temps did you keep mom at?
Details, man...details!!!!

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Holley,
Its 7 weeks today. The temperature ranged from 68 to 75 Fahrenheit over the incubation period.
Not sure how many spiderlings yet, but will be seperating them tomorrow morning. I'm definately concerned about their moms reaction. She is a very big girl.
They are fully developed and appear to be .33 to .5 inch each. I know it seems large, but thats what it looks like. They already have some definate orange coloration. They are bigger than some of the Brazilian Red/Chilean Rose spiderlings I am raising.
I'm going to seperate them in the bath tub tomorrow. I heard that it might help to see them better and keep them corraled.
I'll post additional information as soon as available.
Ralph

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sure you've already thought of it, but make sure you've got the drain plugged.

Botar

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
As stupid as it sounds, I hadn't thought that far in advance.
Thanks!
Ralph:8o

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Ralph, yes definately use the bathtub! It really helps...mom is going to be super angry!
Mine are at an even 80 degrees, so I think they will emerge a bit sooner. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, it can take as little as 30 days for 1st instar. They grow like wildfire, it's unbelievable!
Sounds like they are past 1st instar to me. Mine are almost black ,with orange abdomens.

whoa! I went to take a pic for you to post here, and one of them has molted AGAIN! it's now 4th instar, and with legs stretched, it's about an inch...here it is...

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
here is what I think is 3rd instar...I was going to take pics of them in the same location on my hand, but for some reason, they just won't cooperate ;)

oh, and not only plug the drain, but I taped a cup over the faucet holes as well...those buggers are fast, and can climb!

Last edited:

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I cant believe that those little black spiderlings are Usumbaras. I totally thought they would be orange.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I thought they would be orange as well...here is a shot of 1st instar, but the focus is whacked....you CAN see, however, that they do start off kinda orangy brown when they are eggs with legs.

Last edited:

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Everybody seems to be having luck breeding Usambaras. Maybe i should forget about breeding my Rosie and my A Seemani and just wait till my Usambara matures. Those spiderlings look nice.

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
calling all breeders!
how do you guys know when to open the egg sac or the spiderlings just come out by itself?

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Holley,
Mine look more like the ones in the 1st instar picture. Kinda orangey with larger abdomens. The only thing is they are spread out in the web, not clustered in the eggsac.
Now I'm concerned. Should I break apart the web and seperate them at this stage, or wait a little while and separate them after they molt again?
I'm concerned about them eating each other and don't want to wait too long to seperate them.
Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Ralph

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How many spiderlings are likely on average to come from an Usumbara eggsac?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Ralph, sounds like 1st instar to me then....do they have fat abdomens, and little short legs?! This is a good time to separate them, as they are slow right now. However, it was a real pain getting them untangled, a tedious process, and I only had a total of about 40 or so to separate! I ended up with about 34 total that lived, looked like there were at least that many undeveloped eggs too. If you wait till 2nd instar, they will be much faster, as they will look like 'real' tarantulas, and be more active.
At this point, they probably won't go anywhere, and they won't eat yet either (IME). Once they molt, they will be hungry though!
Email me if you want more details. I took video of me separating them, but the DAT tape ran out about 1/3rd of the way through ....aarrrgghhhh!!!
So shelby and I took pics. I can send some to you in case it might help.
Holley