The Authors of Tarantula Keeper's Guide

MarieNadhazi

Arachnopeon
Hello Guys,

I've been reading the tarantula keeper's guide and I am thrilled! Though I'm curious about how Stanley A. Schultz and Margurite J. Schultz gained their knowledge about tarantulas. They are very scientific in their approach and I could imagine that they might have been biologists, even though I can't find anything on the web about their background nor any scientific articles.

Does anybody know?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
that books outdated and theres actually some poor info in there.
im pretty sure they got into the hobby when it was still pretty young and learned mostly by experience.
heck, tag him. @Stan Schultz

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Hello Guys,

I've been reading the tarantula keeper's guide and I am thrilled! Though I'm curious about how Stanley A. Schultz and Margurite J. Schultz gained their knowledge about tarantulas. They are very scientific in their approach and I could imagine that they might have been biologists, even though I can't find anything on the web about their background nor any scientific articles.

Does anybody know?
I interviewed Stan for a college essay a couple years ago (via email) and asked the same thing. If he replies, his story is interesting.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Yes, that might be.
Can you suggest another Tarantula book?
never found one i really liked for care info. but tarantulas and other arachnids , by Sam Marshall is pretty good. and Jacobi's Animal planet tarantulas is pretty good for learning whats out there. not the best care info in that book but still pretty good. theres a bunch more out there but they can get pretty expensive.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
The guide is very useful to get yourself some knowledge in the terminology and areas of concern regarding tarantulas.

The section that relates to the anatomy of the tarantula is a good read.
The part about substrates is useful.
The parts that relate to specific species care is out of date.
The part about breeding is out of date.

I read the full book when I first started this hobby last year. It gave me a jump start on knowing what to ask and allowed me to understand advice in this forum better.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Is there a list of the outdated/poor info in that book? For the latest edition. I see people are quick to dismiss it at times but I suspect there is still a lot of correct info in it. I haven't read mine in a number of years, maybe I'll get it out one day and flip through it to see. I think he's said he was working on an updated edition but don't quote me on that. Cross-checking what you find in a book with what you find here is always a good idea :)

OP, fyi, Schulz's website is here, his wife, Marguerite, passed away some time ago:
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/spiders.html

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Is there a list of the outdated/poor info in that book? For the latest edition. I see people are quick to dismiss it at times but I suspect there is still a lot of correct info in it. I haven't read mine in a number of years, maybe I'll get it out one day and flip through it to see. I think he's said he was working on an updated edition but don't quote me on that. Cross-checking what you find in a book with what you find here is always a good idea :)

OP, fyi, Schulz's website is here, his wife, Marguerite, passed away some time ago:
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/spiders.html
he gives the impression that Theraphosa and Ephebopus are swamp dwellers. while they both need high humidity, theyre no where near swamp dwellers. he also talks about not using substrate with Avicularia, some avics use their substrate quite a bit to make their homes. besides that, there isnt much.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I have the latest edition, which is pretty good. Not perfect, but nobody is solely using a book with the web as an infinite source of info. I've read a lot of stans old posts on this forumn. His posts stand out from the rest.

boina

Lady of the mites
The general information about temps and humidity (i.e. don't chase numbers) is pretty good and after all those specific care sheets you find everywhere it's rather important to read that they are silly.

Not good, additional to the already mentioned stuff:
Rather bare boxes for the Tarantulas: No hides, little substrate, even for the terrestrials.
Scare mongering and biologically really wrong information about mites.
The ICU stuff.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
From what I've gathered, Stan Schultz kept only NW, so info on OW is not very elaborate or accurate.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry for bumping an old thread! The absolute best book on the subject in my humble opiniin is Sam Marshalls book "Tarantulas and other arachnids" it is written over 20 years ago, but with exeption of Scientifuc names that ar incorrect it holds up very well even today! Especially on husbandry and substrate he uses!
Schultz book i have never liked! Only thing i like about it is the chapter on incubation and rearing slings! The "Mechanical mom" incubator seems intresting!