The Amazing Chongo!

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That was funny!

Is he always so skilled in the beginning? :razz: Looks like some of my Cresteds when they're just getting warmed up to the hunt! :D

Btw, is Chongo's enclosure custom or did you find it premade someplace?

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I knew a Crazy Joe in Vancouver. The guy is a local legend.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
very cool. my daughter wants one of those. she loves to watch there eyes.

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That was funny!

Is he always so skilled in the beginning? :razz: Looks like some of my Cresteds when they're just getting warmed up to the hunt! :D

Btw, is Chongo's enclosure custom or did you find it premade someplace?
To answer the hunting question, we've always taken a three way approach to feeding Chongo. There's always a few crickets in the cage, which he sometimes goes after if he happens to see them. We offer him some crickets and a couple worms (wax worms+butter worms) in a small plastic margerine container, which is his main meal of the day. We also offer him bugs from out of our hands periodically. As a treat about every four weeks or so, we give him 2 or 3 silkworms. To my knowledge he's only missed two bugs, so he is very good with that tongue of his.
His enclosure was bought a a reptile store, they come ready to assemble, and its so easy to assemble a kid could do it. some of the stuff inside his cage are custom built by me. We have an auto-mister as well as one of those water things from a small rodent cage (he likes shiny things) We set the whole enclosure inside a large, shallow plastic container and propped up the enclosure with large flat rocks for drainage. It does the trick!
Good luck with your Crested's, they're neat lookin lizards!

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sounds like Chongo is in great hands with you!! I love to hear about them being spoiled and well taken care of. :D Btw, I was just teasin' ya about his skills... he looks very successful with that tongue of his. I had no idea it was really that long.

I'm going to look around for a similar enclosure for some of my gang. I have a couple screened ones now, but that won't do with 11 Cresteds and babies on the way. (I found my first eggs in the lay box last night!!)

Thanks!
~Aminah

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
uh-oh!

I think Chongo might be in some trouble. He's hiding in the top corner of his enclosure, in a Pothous that sits on a shelf I built. He's coming out occaisionally to eat and get some light, but not as much as he used to. He appears to be healthy, meaning his color, eyes and general appearance are OK (I know they are good at hiding illness and stress) I think maybe somebody mishandled him, he wont go anywhere near my hand. His movement appaers to be a little on the shaky side, but not when he's resting.
There's been some arguments and fighting lately in the house, and I feel that maybe this is having an impact as well? ANY thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated!:wall: