The Adventure of Cleaning Enclosures.

Caitlin

Arachnopeon
I don't usually handle my tarantulas, this was just a rare occasion while I was cleaning enclosures.

IMG_20170531_192505.jpg
Nooo don't take my cork bark!
Aphonopelma chalcodes (Billie)

IMG_20170531_194034.jpg
You took my cork bark, so I shall take your hand! Just kidding I'm too sweet for that.
Aphonopelma chalcodes (Billie)
Yes, I know she's fat, but she just won't stop eating!​
IMG_20170531_195747.jpg
I have no sense of danger! Time to explore!
Euathlus Sp. Red (Charlie)
IMG_20170531_192227.jpg
I hate you mom! I'm going to live in a cup!
G. Pulchra (Nyx)​

Had to keep myself entertained while I was cleaning enclosures, so I decided to give my own personal commentary to their actions.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Big Butt Billie would be my favorite!
That looks like a very deep tank -- I would add more substrate in case Billie climbed up the wall (assuming she CAN climb with that rump!!! hehe).
Does she ever try to burrow?
Anyway, cute Ts! :)

Caitlin

Arachnopeon
Big Butt Billie would be my favorite!
That looks like a very deep tank -- I would add more substrate in case Billie climbed up the wall (assuming she CAN climb with that rump!!! hehe).
Does she ever try to burrow?
Anyway, cute Ts! :)
It was originally meant for an arboreal, but I only have terrestrial and Billie grew out of her enclosure faster than expected. So she got that one. I'm not worried about her climbing because she really only burrows, within a couple hours of me putting new substrate in there she had already built a little den with a window so she can creepily watch me.
IMG_20170602_221538.jpg

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Stop feeding it so much. Especially with such a tall cage, you're just begging for a ruptured abdomen.

Caitlin

Arachnopeon
Stop feeding it so much. Especially with such a tall cage, you're just begging for a ruptured abdomen.
I've actually only fed her maybe twice this entire year, with only about two small mealworms each time. Each time was just to see if she would eat or not. I've been trying to avoid feeding her because she's gotten so big. Again though, she doesn't climb, she always stays in her burrow, I've never once seen her come out of there on her own, she closes it up.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've actually only fed her maybe twice this entire year, with only about two small mealworms each time. Each time was just to see if she would eat or not. I've been trying to avoid feeding her because she's gotten so big. Again though, she doesn't climb, she always stays in her burrow, I've never once seen her come out of there on her own, she closes it up.
Well regardless, you should stop. She doesn't need more food.
You should raise the substrate level so there is a gap of no more than 1.5x the spiders legspan. If she's staying in her burrow and blocking the entrance, she's probably trying to molt. You're disturbing her if you're opening her burrow up when shes closed it. I recommend doing more research on your pets.
you don't know she never climbs unless you are watching her 24/7.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You should raise the substrate level so there is a gap of no more than 1.5x the spiders legspan. If she's staying in her burrow and blocking the entrance, she's probably trying to molt. You're disturbing her if you're opening her burrow up when shes closed it. I recommend doing more research on your pets.
The cold man speaks the warm truth.

Caitlin

Arachnopeon
No offense, but I never asked for the input on her situation. This was supposed to be a light hearted post and you've ruined that for myself personally. If I ever thought for a moment that she was in harm's way I'd do everything to fix that. So I really don't appreciate you implying that I don't know enough about my "pets", when you're just assuming I'm incompetent.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
No offense, but I never asked for the input on her situation.
And got it regardless, which you should appreciate, instead of mistaking for hostility, getting all defensive, he is absolutely right. A mighty fat T in a high enclosure is a recipe for a dead T. It happened before, there is a reason people stress these things here.

This was supposed to be a light hearted post and you've ruined that for myself personally.
Maybe, but if you follow the advice, your T will live a safer life - so who care's about your feelings?
Safety of the animal should have priority, or is this debatable?

If I ever thought for a moment that she was in harm's way I'd do everything to fix that.
Yet you didn't.

So I really don't appreciate you implying that I don't know enough about my "pets", when you're just assuming I'm incompetent.
Well but you clearly don't know enough? Having such a plump terrestrial T in an arboreal's enclosure is not exactly a beacon of wisdom regarding the hobby, is it!?
And saying things like "Yes, I know she's fat, but she just won't stop eating!" doesn't really help your case either.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
No need to get defensive, we AB'ers just care deeply for T safety and care.
I tried to nicely nudge you in the direction of adding more substrate myself.
I didn't want you to feel attacked, and had tried to reply in a playful, kind and lighthearted way.
You rejected the idea outright.
So, the criticisms naturally began when it was clear you were rejecting any suggestions of improvements.
When an unsafe enclosure picture is posted, T lovers are naturally going to voice their concerns.
I wanna be nice. I also want the T to have a safer environment

user 666

Arachnobaron
No offense, but I never asked for the input on her situation. This was supposed to be a light hearted post and you've ruined that for myself personally. If I ever thought for a moment that she was in harm's way I'd do everything to fix that. So I really don't appreciate you implying that I don't know enough about my "pets", when you're just assuming I'm incompetent.
If you think this nagging is bad, you should go read the thread where someone's T is dying of old age, and yet they are still criticizd for using wood chips.

Now that was ridiculous.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
. I said what I thought was nessasary, what you do with that good info is up to you. Good luck.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Just to be clear, she most certainly does climb, whether you see it or not. And she is certainly within harms way as of now with that drop. Just toss some sub in there, simple as can be.. Don't get fired up over nothing, it's just friendly advice.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I loved your post with the comment, even if I am against handling, I thought it was funny :).
But she really needs more sub. You don't want her to fall right?

Caitlin

Arachnopeon
I loved your post with the comment, even if I am against handling, I thought it was funny :).
But she really needs more sub. You don't want her to fall right?
Of course I don't. I check on my T's three times a day because I want everything to be okay. I have another enclosure for her when she molts but it's currently too big for her. Honestly, that was the first time I ever handled them, I never got them with the intention of handling and I don't plan to really do it again.

Caitlin

Arachnopeon
No need to get defensive, we AB'ers just care deeply for T safety and care.
I tried to nicely nudge you in the direction of adding more substrate myself.
I didn't want you to feel attacked, and had tried to reply in a playful, kind and lighthearted way.
You rejected the idea outright.
So, the criticisms naturally began when it was clear you were rejecting any suggestions of improvements.
When an unsafe enclosure picture is posted, T lovers are naturally going to voice their concerns.
I wanna be nice. I also want the T to have a safer environment
Honestly, I already added a lot more substrate after I posted that photo. Instead of asking if I had though, people automatically assumed I hadn't and started making it seem like I didn't care for my T's and was inept.