That was embarrassing

mischiefhaze

Arachnopeon
As embarrassing at this is, it's too funny not to share. Before I had any dubia's (about 2 weeks now) I had somewhat of a phobia of roaches. I know they can't hurt me, but I couldn't stand them. A lot of that is gone now that I have handled the Dubia's.

Anyways I open my Dubia enclosure (rubbermade with screen top and egg crates inside) to clean out the dry food tray. There are no creatures in sight. At this point my mind wanders off into it's own little word and I consciously forget what I am doing.

As I am lifting the tray, and before I remember that the container is full of roaches (that I paid for no less) I see about 30 mid size Dubia's moving in the space the tray was. I drop the tray, with dry food still on it, from about 3 1/2 feet back onto the roaches, stumble back and nearly fall head first over the corner of my bed.

I spent the next minute laughing at myself. What an idiot. I just knew I killed a dozen or so. When I checked under the tray, the few that stuck around made a beeline for the egg crates. Other than my pride, no casualties.

Take care

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hahaha! Roaches are probably like, "DUDE! She purchased us and yet we're still getting hit with things?"

farrisbaharom

Arachnopeon
i still get the heebie jeebies after flipping a tray sometimes - have had mine for 9 months now i think. it's just one of those things mate.

either that or you and me, we're the same kinda chicken j/k

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Blecchh, yep, a mess of skittering roaches makes all my hair stand up. I don't feel better until I hear my Ts crunch the roaches like a handful of chips.

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is why I just can't get the courage to start my own colony. I know I'd do exactly what you did, OP. I can't even pick up a cricket... yet I have no problem holding a huge, fast running spider! :rolleyes: lol

ametan

Arachnoknight
There's just something about the skittering sound roaches make when they run around. Going to school downtown in a somewhat large city, roaches were not your friends...