Thanks Joy!

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thank for the advice about feeding s'lings beef heart. I just got some at Petsmart yesterday. They come in little frozen cubes, already diced up. All I have to do is cut off a little piece and thaw it out. My small slings are going for it pretty well. Solong to pinheads. Yeah!

Beef heart: Who'd a thunk it?

Thanks again,
Jon

Last edited:

ilovemyjob:)

Banned
Beefheart????????????I always use pinheads??????? How do u use the beef heart?????? I havent steared wrong with pinheads have i????

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No you havent crickets have good nutrition, I never tried beefheart

But my dads a chef and he brings me some good meats and I somonetimes chuck a chunk under my larger t's palps.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by ilovemyjob:)
Beefheart????????????I always use pinheads??????? How do u use the beef heart??????
Hi,
Cut a piece about the size of the spiders abdomen (unless your Joy ;) ) and place in a spot the spider will frequent. Nothing and I mean nothing puts on weight quicker than beef heart. Size of the spider is irrelevant. slings will eat it with relish too (not relish as such but enthusiasm, didn't want you putting toppings on the heart, heh???)

Cheers,
Steve

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Although galeogirl had some observations of beeheart correlated with nutritional stress/death. Care to comment paige?

-V

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Hi,
Cut a piece about the size of the spiders abdomen (unless your Joy ;) ) and place in a spot the spider will frequent. Nothing and I mean nothing puts on weight quicker than beef heart. Size of the spider is irrelevant. slings will eat it with relish too (not relish as such but enthusiasm, didn't want you putting toppings on the heart, heh???)

Cheers,
Steve
Et tu, Steve? ;)

Glad I could help, Jon!

Joy

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Although beefheart is a great supplement or variation to a slings diet, I think it is obvious that a strictly beef diet is a bad idea. No carbohydrates, and predators get alot of nutrients from whole prey that they cannot get from meat cuts, such as the minerals from the exoskeleton, and the internal organs provide a lot of various nutrients also. This lesson was learned in the past with the very same nutrients in feeding amphibians; particularly horned frogs.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joy
Et tu, Steve? ;)

Hehehe, yeah I try to feed mine as often as possible,the bigger the abdomen, the better. Nothing puts it on like heart too, although as Lelle says, not too good all the time ;)

Steve

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
although as Lelle says, not too good all the time ;)

Steve
Minax isn't Lelle, Crotalus is.. What do you think this is, Arachnid World? :)

Scott

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by minax
Although beefheart is a great supplement or variation to a slings diet, I think it is obvious that a strictly beef diet is a bad idea. No carbohydrates, and predators get alot of nutrients from whole prey that they cannot get from meat cuts, such as the minerals from the exoskeleton, and the internal organs provide a lot of various nutrients also. This lesson was learned in the past with the very same nutrients in feeding amphibians; particularly horned frogs.
Absolutely. For the reasons you mention I wouldn't use it as the whole diet of a T, only as a supplement.

Joy

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
Minax isn't Lelle, Crotalus is.. What do you think this is, Arachnid World? :)

Scott
LOL, oops, sorry to minax!!!!!!!

Steve