Thank you! New owner anxiety

BwR11

Arachnopeon
Now I understand! I did a ton of research. A lot. I bought a p regalis, GBB, and a versicolor. All of that research only prepared me so much. And the nerves and anxiety of trying to provide the right environment and feed the right amount. Once I brought them home it added all of these questions I never knew to ask.

I want to say thank you for everyone who has the patience to answer every question no matter how many times it had brought up in the past. The patience and culture of the members of this forum have cultivated is crazy awesome.

From a beginner, thank you.

P.S. Once I get the focus on my camera right for the little blurs I will post them.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
This forum has been a huge resource and has provides incredible confidence.

I would have been lost without these guys and gals

So thanks to all and to new comers if I can help at all I am happy too.

So ask away

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Your confidence will grow every day. P regalis was my first OW. I worried about so much. She provided me with a pretty smooth learning curve. I learned a lot of tips by reading this board, many of which I employ today. For example, my P regalis would rather sit motionless when I'm near (I think they all do). Before I open her Exo, every time I give it a little tap. When she's out of her cork tube, I've seen her tuck in a bit. Maybe I'm lucky, but she gives me the least hassle of any arboreal I own.
Anyway, nice trio of T's. Enjoy

BwR11

Arachnopeon
The p Regalis gives me the least trouble. It hides in its curtains and eats everything I throw in there.
I'm sure that will change as it grows

The GBB molted last night. It has made me the most nervous. It was refusing food and not moving. The complete opposite of what I thought was a GBB. I'm hoping now its out of molt it will move and web more. I will wait a week and throw in a cricket or two.

I'm way more calm now.

Last edited:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Your confidence will grow every day. P regalis was my first OW. I worried about so much. She provided me with a pretty smooth learning curve. I learned a lot of tips by reading this board, many of which I employ today. For example, my P regalis would rather sit motionless when I'm near (I think they all do). Before I open her Exo, every time I give it a little tap.
I don't think thats the norm, they tend to be rather skittish. Most of my pokies bolt straight to their cork hides when I open the lid. Every now and then they do stay out in the open, it can be more risky when they don't retreat to open the lid cause then you don't always know what to expect next ;)

I'd rather do maintenance/feeding when they are a safe distance away from me in their hides. I think the proper cover makes all the difference, makes escapes much less likely plus gives both you and the spider a "safe zone" so it doesn't feel the need to run circles around the enclosure.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I don't think thats the norm, they tend to be rather skittish. Most of my pokies bolt straight to their cork hides when I open the lid. Every now and then they do stay out in the open, it can be more risky when they don't retreat to open the lid cause then you don't always know what to expect next ;)

I'd rather do maintenance/feeding when they are a safe distance away from me in their hides. I think the proper cover makes all the difference, makes escapes much less likely plus gives both you and the spider a "safe zone" so it doesn't feel the need to run circles around the enclosure.
I don't think I was clear enough and maybe didn't explain properly. 9 out 10 times I open her Exo, she's in her hide. I still tap the glass and when looking I can see her tuck it in. I'd rather not open the door if she's not in her tube, but sometimes you really need in. Never would I open the door if she was in a position to make the quick exit.

Maybe it's because she's mature, maybe she's the one in 500 calm pokies, but her enclosure is set up with good hides and a big plant to blend in behind it. I have a smaller P rufilata that always runs for cover when I open the lid. I know what you're talking about. Bottom line, never take your eye off any tarantula in it's enclosure when you open it up. I had a B albopilosum that ran (not strolled) right out when I took the lid off last week. Didn't get very far, but it tried.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I don't think I was clear enough and maybe didn't explain properly. 9 out 10 times I open her Exo, she's in her hide. I still tap the glass and when looking I can see her tuck it in. I'd rather not open the door if she's not in her tube, but sometimes you really need in. Never would I open the door if she was in a position to make the quick exit.

Maybe it's because she's mature, maybe she's the one in 500 calm pokies, but her enclosure is set up with good hides and a big plant to blend in behind it. I have a smaller P rufilata that always runs for cover when I open the lid. I know what you're talking about. Bottom line, never take your eye off any tarantula in it's enclosure when you open it up. I had a B albopilosum that ran (not strolled) right out when I took the lid off last week. Didn't get very far, but it tried.
I think most Poeciletheria would choose to hide rather then stand their ground, only ones I've seen do that are P.ornata. I love catching a glimpse of them as they scurry back to their hides, so cool how fast they are, sometimes you just hear legs flutter and they're gone in the blink of an eye. Haha! Your B.albo pulled a fast one on you, that's always fun :D