Thanatus vulgaris - “cricket thief spider”

ArborealLotus

Arachnosquire
A cricket thief has found its way to me, and not knowing what to do with it, combined with not really wanting to release it outside its native region...

BC62DD17-BA0D-4113-BE6F-2275BA10753F.jpeg

I’ve homed a Thanatus vulgaris.

18E5A43E-E73B-4C06-8CAF-C01C435C5491.jpeg

I’ll treat this thread as a log of sorts, and if YOU have ever kept a cricket thief spider, please insert your experience!!

What do they prefer to eat? How do they use their silk? Do they prefer the ground or the heights?

This is a VERY basic enclosure - a 3x3x4 drilled amac, with a bark piece, 1” topsoil, and a fake plant. The spider is about an inch DLS. I will observe to see what behavior it displays, and may need to plan a new enclosure based on what I observe!

Let the games begin : ).

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
Thats a biiiig abdomen wow lol
But im used to tarantulas and not so much true spiders.

How did it end up there if its not native?
Just curious!

ArborealLotus

Arachnosquire
Thats a biiiig abdomen wow lol
But im used to tarantulas and not so much true spiders.

How did it end up there if its not native?
Just curious!
Yah this spood is FED.

Work at a pet store, and came in with a cricket shipment (aptly named, indeed where the common name comes from).

I’m in Minnesota, the furthest north it lives normally is Ohio (then south to Georgia west to California according to bugguide.net) They’re everywhere, except in my backyard!

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
A cricket thief has found its way to me, and not knowing what to do with it, combined with not really wanting to release it outside its native region...

View attachment 384140

I’ve homed a Thanatus vulgaris.

View attachment 384139

I’ll treat this thread as a log of sorts, and if YOU have ever kept a cricket thief spider, please insert your experience!!

What do they prefer to eat? How do they use their silk? Do they prefer the ground or the heights?

This is a VERY basic enclosure - a 3x3x4 drilled amac, with a bark piece, 1” topsoil, and a fake plant. The spider is about an inch DLS. I will observe to see what behavior it displays, and may need to plan a new enclosure based on what I observe!

Let the games begin : ).
This is iggi 20210501_092739.jpg
He is a male he also came to me in some crickets (hence iggi because he is the passenger 😉) he was 1mm big when he came 20210305_151241.jpg
I have had iggi about 3 months now and have loved having him. He prefers to be up a hight and likes fruit flys more than crickets (go figure) He molts every few weeks and never sits still unless he is sunning himself on his branch. His last moults were only 1 week apart and when he had moulted he has gloves on his peddi's although male was suspected because of his long legs 😊 I think more people should keep these spider as they are excellent to watch and are extremely aggressive with food (or iggi is) so much fun in such a small package. I hope I covered everything here. Ask away if I haven't 😁

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I had never heard of them before one came with my crickets I joined ab to find out what he was 😊 yes in my opinion his care is easy I drop in a few fruit flys watch him hunt them down, hight is more important than floor space, and I keep him dry and he seems to thrive in this . When I researched them I read they came from places in America that where hot and dry so I tried to replicate that . They are a type of crab spider as far as I could gather . Super fast always on the move always hungry and have a similar take down as a jumping spider just without the jump lol although I have seen iggi jump when spooked (he literally jumped off the roof of his enclosure because a fly touched him while he was eating 😆) IMO a truly underrated species of spooda 😊 if your lucky you may get one in your crickets too 😁

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I had never heard of them before one came with my crickets I joined ab to find out what he was 😊 yes in my opinion his care is easy I drop in a few fruit flys watch him hunt them down, hight is more important than floor space, and I keep him dry and he seems to thrive in this . When I researched them I read they came from places in America that where hot and dry so I tried to replicate that . They are a type of crab spider as far as I could gather . Super fast always on the move always hungry and have a similar take down as a jumping spider just without the jump lol although I have seen iggi jump when spooked (he literally jumped off the roof of his enclosure because a fly touched him while he was eating 😆) IMO a truly underrated species of spooda 😊 if your lucky you may get one in your crickets too 😁
Gotta start buying crickets again!

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
pretty sure they're cosmopolitan at this point, so you shouldn't be too worried about releasing it outside their native range.

ArborealLotus

Arachnosquire
Yeah, they almost have a crab spider look to them.
They are indeed a running crab spider lol! Good eye.

pretty sure they're cosmopolitan at this point, so you shouldn't be too worried about releasing it outside their native range.
Agreed!

I have had iggi about 3 months now and have loved having him. He prefers to be up a hight and likes fruit flys more than crickets (go figure) He molts every few weeks and never sits still unless he is sunning himself on his branch. His last moults were only 1 week apart and when he had moulted he has gloves on his peddi's although male was suspected because of his long legs 😊 I think more people should keep these spider as they are excellent to watch and are extremely aggressive with food (or iggi is) so much fun in such a small package. I hope I covered everything here. Ask away if I haven't 😁
Thanks for adding iggi!

I’ve noticed indeed it hangs out in the top! I haven’t offered any food yet but indeed may out a fruit fly or two in. This abdomen is indeed bigger than I’ve seen on any cricket thiefs, so will have yet to see what that’s all about lol (kinda hoping I don’t get egg sacs, not equipped to handle hundreds of spiders haha). Hope it’s just a little chub.

When it idly walks around, I enjoy how fast it does so. It moves eerily, quickly getting from one resting spot to another.

It did NOT want to leave the catch cup, where it had spent the rest of my shift and already made a little webbing to sit around. Haven’t seen it make itself comfortable quite yet, but I’m sure by tonight it’ll have explored the space and selected it’s residence : ).

ArborealLotus

Arachnosquire

Hah! I liiive! Good stuff : ).
Will offer a fruit fly later today and see what happens lol.
Good thought on climate. My sub had a bit of moisture to begin with, I figured I’d continue to wet a small area to offer a gradient and observe what it prefers. But so far up above, might not be necessary haha. The natural humidity of the Midwest may be plenty sufficient for the spood.

Always fun to learn a new species!

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
It took iggi a few weeks before he settled and stopped flinging himself off whatever he was on but tbh your girl does look rather big (as you would be surrounded by free food that couldn't escape hahaha) so she may be alot slower than iggi he is large but can still boogie when he wants too lol although since his last moult he has slowed down alot scuttling rather than sprinting. Maybe the adults just aren't as fast as the slings huh 🤔 I have never met anyone else who's kept them so very cool to be able to compare notes 😊

ArborealLotus

Arachnosquire
It took iggi a few weeks before he settled and stopped flinging himself off whatever he was on but tbh your girl does look rather big (as you would be surrounded by free food that couldn't escape hahaha) so she may be alot slower than iggi he is large but can still boogie when he wants too lol although since his last moult he has slowed down alot scuttling rather than sprinting. Maybe the adults just aren't as fast as the slings huh 🤔 I have never met anyone else who's kept them so very cool to be able to compare notes 😊
Also haven’t known of another have homed cricket thief! Still hasn’t done much, but seems content. Seems to spend most of its park time on the underside of the bark piece toward the top but not all the way. Since it’s pretty new yet it may be because that is where pictured above, it FIRST stood in the new space.

I haven’t looked into sexing yet - you think it’s female?

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I would be surprised if she isn't , I could tell iggi was a boy because of his super long legs , they were much longer than his body length and he has gloves, your girl hasn't as far as I can tell , by her size you would have seen gloves .

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Awwww she made baby's 😊 I have no idea how many eggs they have . But very cool .
@The Snark do you know anything about these spiders seen as your the true spiders King 😁

Last edited:

Racer Jess

Arachnopeon
Gotta start buying crickets again!
I just found one in with a box of locusts I'd bought! I'm in UK so not sure it'd survive if I released it, so I may keep it, still not sure on that though lol No idea if it's male or female? All I do know is that it's FAST! lol I've set it up in a small arboreal enclosure, with cork bark and a fake plant. It seems quit happy so far 🤷🏻‍♀️

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I just found one in with a box of locusts I'd bought! I'm in UK so not sure it'd survive if I released it, so I may keep it, still not sure on that though lol No idea if it's male or female? All I do know is that it's FAST! lol I've set it up in a small arboreal enclosure, with cork bark and a fake plant. It seems quit happy so far 🤷🏻‍♀️
Very cool a bonus!!! I might had seen them Here before. Similar to wolfs , but more crab like.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I've always wanted one of these. I love Iggy!

That thing looks preggo or is serving a life sentence for larceny 🤣