Thamnophis ordinoides (Northwestern garter snake)

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi
I am thinking/hoping this is a polymorphic melanistic form of the Northwestern garter snake.
Been hoping to find another one since I didn't get pics of the first specimen I found last year.
IMG_20170529_151357.jpg IMG_20170529_151317.jpg

Rick_C_West

Arachnopeon
Hi
I am thinking/hoping this is a polymorphic melanistic form of the Northwestern garter snake.
Been hoping to find another one since I didn't get pics of the first specimen I found last year.
View attachment 241797 View attachment 241798
This is indeed a melanistic form of Thamnophis ordinoides (Baird & Girard, 1852) ... not
uncommonly encountered in the Pacific Northwest, incl. Vancouver Island. Cheers, Rick

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is indeed a melanistic form of Thamnophis ordinoides (Baird & Girard, 1852) ... not
uncommonly encountered in the Pacific Northwest, incl. Vancouver Island. Cheers, Rick
Thanks Rick, the location was West Saanich road out near the airport. Same property as the last one.
This snake survived a weed whacker assault in tall grass. Very thankful for that.

Rick_C_West

Arachnopeon
Thanks Rick, the location was West Saanich road out near the airport. Same property as the last one.
This snake survived a weed whacker assault in tall grass. Very thankful for that.
Have often come across them, myself, while out on hikes. You'll note that the ventral scales will be a nice deep blue coloration.