Texas Winter Storm Experience

Rimba

Arachnopeon
Before I get into any details, this is a happy post and a big thank you to Arachnoboards. Despite everything that happened a few weeks ago in Texas, and my house being without power for 5 days in freezing temperatures, my millipede (Marimba) is doing just fine.

To give a brief timeline of the events, my house lost power at 2 in the morning while the temperatures were dropping to single-digits. The whole energy grid trash-fire has been documented well enough, so I wont go into how terribly the situation and communication was handled. The most important and damning element of the ordeal for me was that the energy company in my city kept holding this carrot-of-hope in front of our faces, saying they were hopeful power would be restored in 4, 8, 12 hours.

Let me also start by saying Marimba had been molting for about 2.5 months at this point. She had strangely chosen to barricade herself underneath a cork round this time around, so I had caught her building the chamber and actually knew an accurate start to her molt. Whenever I read about molting, I see people talking about a 1-2 month timeline. Marimba has taken a full 3 month hiatus in the past while molting, so while I was beginning to get worried, I certainly hadn't given up hope. However, coupled with the huge fungus gnat outbreak that happened around month 1.5 of her molt, it's safe to say I was wringing my hands.

So then the power drops.

The first night the power was out, I stayed up monitoring Marimba's tank. I had caught wind of power issues the day before, and had bought a supply of air-activated back-warmers, which I had stuck to the sides of her tank before covering it with several heavy blankets and boxing it all in with some insulated acoustic panels I have. This barely worked. As my room dropped from 70° to mid 50°s, I managed to keep her tank somewhere around 72°.

The next day, as the situation didn't improve and the temperature continued to drop, I knew that method wouldn't work for long, especially since I was already halfway through my supply of warmers. I saw
this thread regarding the use of hot water in containers, and that, combined with the fact that my house has a gas-powered water heater, undoubtedly saved Marimba's life for the next 24 hours. In this case, it was a stroke of luck that she was molting, as I didn't have to worry too much about her coming in contact with the water containers. I set them directly in her tank, opposite the side she was on, and covered everything back up. I continued changing the water every hour or two, and was able to keep her tank around 77°. That being said, there were huge temperature swings every time I changed the water, and the humidity was out of control.

Still, my house didn't have power, my room was dropping to low 40°s, and I hadn't slept much at all in two days.
With the knowledge that my room would likely drop below freezing over the course of the next day, I reached out to a friend who had offered to come pick me up. The roads were covered in ice, but he had only recently moved to the south and had both the skill and 4WD that most Texans lack. I had put off this decision because of the danger presented by moving Marimba while she was molting. At this point I didn't think I had an option.

We made the drive alright, but a little piece of her molting chamber wall had fallen in by the time we got to his house. I was able to just barely spy through the hole and see her with my phone—When I first saw her she looked much more pale and had her legs sticking up in the air. Over the next several days I peeked in on her many times and saw her in all sorts of odd positions, often chewing on some molted segments. For the first time in 2.5 months, I had confirmation that she was alive and moving. I can't describe how relieved I felt. Several days later, after my power had been restored and I had caught a glimpse of her above-ground on a webcam, I was able to bring her back home.

Her molt wasn't perfect, and there are definitely some slight creases and ruffled portions, but her movement seems fine, and all of her body functions seem to work just great. This is so much more than I was expecting. She's been eating like crazy since she came up, and I'm so delighted to have her back.

Thanks for reading! And thank you for providing me with the information I needed to save her life. That whole experience was terrible, and I'm so glad she made it out.

Last edited:

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
That is crazy to think the millipede was fine through this. Also, how did you get an abg in Texas. Don’t they need a bunch of permits to keep

Rimba

Arachnopeon
That is crazy to think the millipede was fine through this. Also, how did you get an abg in Texas. Don’t they need a bunch of permits to keep
Yeah, I’m amazed. She’s a real trooper.

As far as keeping her legally, as far as I understand (and I sure hope I’m correct), they’re perfectly legal to own as long as they’re domestically bred. Their import was banned because of their commensal mites, which domestically bred millipedes don’t have the chance to pick up.

It’s just made them extremely hard to find.

Last edited:

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Um I would keep him to yourself. They still need permit to keep. I don’t think they would take it away from you but you probably shouldn’t post pictures. Also the law has been in place for a while now so it’s not your fault, it’s the person who sold it to you.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
it’s not your fault, it’s the person who sold it to you.
I disagree, the seller lives in SW Ohio (according to their account) if it's a Texas law then it's nearly impossible for a breeder to know of every law in the country for every location for every species they work with. Is this law in writing anywhere?

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
It’s an aphis law to not breed, sell or import exotic inverts that can cause destruction to agriculture and since the millipedes cary mights that can harm cotton plants, they are no longer able to be bred, sold, shipped, or traded. The laws also apply to mantids, phasmids, assassin bugs, isopods, and springtails.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
It’s an aphis law to not breed, sell or import exotic inverts that can cause destruction to agriculture and since the millipedes cary mights that can harm cotton plants, they are no longer able to be bred, sold, shipped, or traded. The laws also apply to mantids, phasmids, assassin bugs, isopods, and springtails.
As the op said, if they're captive bred they likely won't have mites. However I don't know if the law reflects this.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
The aphis and usda laws apply to all breeders, sellers, and keepers. Many species do not apply because they are native or don’t cause harm if they are released

They still are illegal even if they don’t carry mights. They think the millipede itself doesn’t do harm but they still can’t lift the law because they think they still carry them. I disagree but you have to go with it so your animals don’t get taken away.

Rimba

Arachnopeon
The aphis and usda laws apply to all breeders, sellers, and keepers. Many species do not apply because they are native or don’t cause harm if they are released
I would love to see what you’re looking at regarding this. Anything I find that explicitly references this species has to do with importation.

Last edited:

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Look on aqurimax pets isopod law. Also look on aphis website. The laws are sometimes unclear but it says any species that can cause harm to agriculture or wildlife is unlawful to poses without a permit. The laws shock people because they find them at shops. The shops should have permits to breed, sell, and collect but it’s your responsibility to get the permit to keep the species.

Also, most sites selling them are in Europe. Especially UK. They don’t really care what the species is. That’s why most of the African sun beetle breeders or keepers in UK.

Rimba

Arachnopeon
Look on aqurimax pets isopod law. Also look on aphis website. The laws are sometimes unclear but it says any species that can cause harm to agriculture or wildlife is unlawful to poses without a permit. The laws shock people because they find them at shops. The shops should have permits to breed, sell, and collect but it’s your responsibility to get the permit to keep the species.
It's been a little while since I did my due-digging on this. I remember it being a bit of a cloudy process. Thank you for your input, I'll definitely do some more research.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
@Matts inverts is correct, it is illegal to keep any exotic millipedes without a valid PPQ 526 permit from APHIS, regardless of location in the country, or where you got it from.

It's been a little while since I did my due-digging on this. I remember it being a bit of a cloudy process. Thank you for your input, I'll definitely do some more research.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions! I'm someone (along with many other people here) DEEP into this stuff.

Rimba

Arachnopeon
Thank you everyone for your knowledge! I do believe these last few messages are correct! I'll be looking into the permit process. I definitely don't want to be spreading misinformation.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I believe sometimes, invasive species don’t need permits but this doesn’t always aply. You just have to read through the whole law book and sort out which you can and cannot keep. Also some of the species that require permits are not regulated. That’s why the mantis trade is so big even though most keepers are illegally keeping them. They are basically saying just don’t import and we won’t say anything. You should really have permits though especially if you have other regulated animals because they will take your collection.

Rimba

Arachnopeon
Just wanted to update this thread to thank everyone who replied to my original post. I had read incorrect information on this forum about Archispirostreptus Gigas and the need for permits, and didn't have an understanding of what was necessary. I don't have any desire to spread false information, and want to make it clear that you DO technically need a permit to keep this species.

I'm happy to say that I now have a PPQ 526 permit for Marimba through APHIS. The process was super simple (although the language on the permit isn't the clearest) and really just required filling out a form and waiting about a month.

Thank you again for correcting me!