Texas trip!

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hello guys.Just got back from a trip to Texas to see some tarantulas in the wild!
While there I met up with Chris Hamilton and he took me out for a couple days to show me a few spots.It was my first time seeing any tarantulas in there natural setting.Was a great time!
Heres some pictures I took while down there.

Aphonopelma hentzi (Dallas,Texas)

Mature male

Heres some shots of burrows

On the second day of hunting we traveled to Austin Texas.The Hentzi we found here
were a bit larger and seemed to have a lil more attitude hehe.Most of these spiders found were living under rocks or logs.

Habitat

Aphonopelma hentzi (redbud area)

More hentzi from this area

This female above was found under a large board.We also noticed remains of an eggsack that had hatched earlier in the year.

Juvie hentzi

Spiderling

Last we went to one more locality in Austin where we found another group of tarantulas that im told could prove to be a different species.
The spider we found here was found burrowed into a hillside.

Habitat

I also found some scorpions and other cool local spiders.Heres some photos
of them.

Cant remember the name of this sp haha

Centruroides vittatus

Polymorpha sp???

Unknown Salticidae species

Spitting spiders Scytodidae sp.

Fire ants
Solenopsis invicta?

Thanks for looking!
-Chris

aluras

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
VERY cool pics. Did you collect any of the species you saw there? or was it purly for observation?

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hey thanks alot :]
I did collect one little hentzi female.I'm gonna have it sent back to me.I really went just to see them tho.
-Chris

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I think the unidentified scorp is a Diplocentrus sp.:? Although I dont know jack about scorpions haha. Nice pics Chris. To bad there was no A-con this year, we could of all chilled in TX together.

Later, Tom

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Outstanding pics! What area around Dallas where you guys? North, South?...
I work with a girl that lived in Grand Prairie and she said they had tons of them! I live about 2.5 hrs NE from Dallas and have been searching for A. hentzi in my area and coming up with nothing. It seems around here its either too wet, smothered in pine straw, or has fire ants everywhere you look.
Wolf spiders, orb weavers, widows, they're all over but I can't locate any T's.:confused:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think the unidentified scorp is a Diplocentrus sp.:? Although I dont know jack about scorpions haha. Nice pics Chris. To bad there was no A-con this year, we could of all chilled in TX together.

Later, Tom
Thanks Tom
Yeah I def wanna go back at some point you should come with!

Outstanding pics! What area around Dallas where you guys? North, South?...
I work with a girl that lived in Grand Prairie and she said they had tons of them! I live about 2.5 hrs NE from Dallas and have been searching for A. hentzi in my area and coming up with nothing. It seems around here its either too wet, smothered in pine straw, or has fire ants everywhere you look.
Wolf spiders, orb weavers, widows, they're all over but I can't locate any T's.:confused:
I have no clue where I was half of the time haha.If I were you I'd try and look up some of the local members and I'm sure someone will guide you in the right direction.
-Chris

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The scorp is Pseudouroctonus reddelli.

The area in Dallas...is a special secret place in the city I know of...

You will be able to find T's north of Dallas...they're there. If it's not rocky, look for burrows in areas where the grass is not too thick, it's sunny, and is generally on an incline.

Chris

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome pictures Chris! Glad to hang out with yall for the day!

WHATABURGER yall!!

Bob

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The scorp is Pseudouroctonus reddelli.
Chris
Dang, beat me to it lol.

Looks like y'all had an awesome time! Finding Ts in the wild is an awesome experience.

I need to get out an explore the rest of this state. Houston really sucks

Kacey Jennings

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey

Syndicate,
any time you are going to this area, let me know. Austin is a great place to find our local T's. I have not seen a scorpion the whole time i have lived here. where they shot in Austin as well?

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
great pics. i was never fortunate enough to see a T in Texas, but seen some scorps and a big pede. of course, i was looking for snakes , snakes, and more snakes.

Last edited: