Texas Solifugid (ID)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
So while at work I walked out the side door and something darted past my foot up onto the wall and it was a native Solifugid and the house permitted had just been sprayed with pesticides and has already begun taking out invertebrates and I desperately wanted to save this guy but he was not pleased and defended this spot with the entirety of his life, it took a good five minutes to get him to move away from the spot to catch cup it.

attached is a video and if anyone by chance knows an ID that’d be cool and it was safely relocated out into the scrub. Should be able to zoom in a bit if that helps with ID. Found in Bulverde/Spring BranchTX.

2DF8E0DD-4A75-491C-AC32-67714E915B40.jpeg 05FED4CD-145C-4E89-B0B4-E73303369206.jpeg 020AEB3A-06D1-4640-9113-11956D35D6B0.jpeg F6C69180-F58F-436C-B308-F19D373DB420.jpeg

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I can’t help on this one. I don’t know anything about solifugids, but now I am curious and want to try and find out though.
Okay yeah I really don’t know either other than is a Solifugid lol so no worries I’m going to work on the ID tomorrow when I wake up. If you learn anything let me know!

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Okay yeah I really don’t know either other than is a Solifugid lol so no worries I’m going to work on the ID tomorrow when I wake up. If you learn anything let me know!
Looks like Galeodes araneoides.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
So while at work I walked out the side door and something darted past my foot up onto the wall and it was a native Solifugid and the house permitted had just been sprayed with pesticides and has already begun taking out invertebrates and I desperately wanted to save this guy but he was not pleased and defended this spot with the entirety of his life, it took a good five minutes to get him to move away from the spot to catch cup it.

attached is a video and if anyone by chance knows an ID that’d be cool and it was safely relocated out into the scrub. Should be able to zoom in a bit if that helps with ID. Found in Bulverde/Spring BranchTX.

View attachment 381832 View attachment 381833 View attachment 381834 View attachment 381835
Dude I can literally hear it hissing from where I sit. That thing is a BEAST.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
I forgot these things were in the states until you posted this. My uncle didn't shut up about them after he got back from Afghanistan/Iraq - if the bigger ones over there have this type of attitude, I see why now.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
I regret passing up on buying one... and living where I am, I'll never get the chance to cross paths with them

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I regret passing up on buying one... and living where I am, I'll never get the chance to cross paths with them
Just do to the fact that I know 99% of the time they dont translate to captivity, I just caughht it and brought it far away from the house and relseased it, but if this keeps happening, I may try if the opportunity keeps happening, I also have no idea of concetration on population of this species, and it could be really low and need every possible individual to continue on with this population, I need to find out more before id consider taking one out of the wild, cause its just not fair since they almost always die in captivity

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
@Dry Desert @AphonopelmaTX I am leaning towards Eremobates spp. there are a few different groups in the genus but I have not narrowed it down just quite yet, quite a few species to go off and keying out further is new to me for solifugids

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
@Dry Desert @AphonopelmaTX I am leaning towards Eremobates spp. there are a few different groups in the genus but I have not narrowed it down just quite yet, quite a few species to go off and keying out further is new to me for solifugids
Both Eremobatidae and Ammotrechidae can be found in N. America. Thinking about it Galeodes is more Middle Eastern. They are very difficult to ID as there is very little accurate information about.