texas solfugids ?

Arachnokid 93

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello I just got back from a camping trip in the texas hill country and found a little solfugid. Now I do not know a lot about them but I know general info on them. But I dont know any thing about ones from this part of th world. I want to know how big they get and what is the sci. name.

thanks Arachnokid 93

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well without a pic its hard to identify the species.. but since ur from texas the camel spider u found is almost certainly a member of the family Eremobatidae...their size varies but the "big" north american ones dont get over 2-3 cm of body lenght :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For years I was used to finding the bigger ones that are common out in w tx. Then I found smaller, darker ones in the Austin area. That's when I found out there is more than one species in Texas. I researched this a long time ago. I can't remember all the species and I still think they are working on it. Someone that really knows this stuff would probably need to see a picture of it. What town were you closest to? Since you were camping, not many real good family areas to camp at in deep w tx so I'm guessing you were in the c tx area(?). If that's the case and the solfugid is around .5 inches or a little more, I'd guess it's close to full grown. The species in c tx don't get as big as the w tx species. All that's personal experience and not hard facts, but it might help you out while you look into it more. I have some pics of the smaller species I've found around here. I may try to dig them up. I kept the smaller ones for a while and, could be my imagination but they seemed a little more hardy in a terr than the larger species in w tx.

Arachnokid 93

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was in a little town called uvalde in west texas. This solfugid looks just like all the solfugids I have seen a light tan in color and about 1 inch long.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, you probably don't have the smaller species I had in mind then going by how big you say it is. I think Solifugids are still kind of a mystery. T Hawk is right, need a pic. The smaller sp are tan too but a little darker. I've never been able to keep them alive very long. Maybe there is some new info out there. I think you're not getting a lot of replies because the Solifugid topic has been hammered so I'd hit "search" but you may have done that already. Good luck with it.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don't think this will help you out much but it's kind of interesting. I dug through some old pics. The darker one is a smaller species I found around Austin. Been a year since I tried to research it a little and I couldn't find pics or much info. I just read there are 26 species found in tx, that have been discovered so far. The first pic is of a sp I found in the Austin area. Then second is one I found this past weekend in w tx, very common out there.