Texas Redhead or "the accidental souvenenir"

kaitlinsmom

Arachnopeon
OK, I need all your expert advice. We spent the weekend in SW OK (like a desert) and after we returned home (OKC) yesterday I unpacked our luggage and from the outside zipper pocket ran a 7" centipede (thanks to Scott's great gallery I now know it was a Texas Redhead). Ok, please forgive me but I was freakin' out!:eek: Well I think I scared him too and he ran under my couch before I knew it. My friend and I lifted the couch but no pede. I think he went under the carpet because the seam runs under the couch and is not sealed tight anymore and you can lft the carpet in areas. OK, here's where my questions start: Do I need to be concerned about my little kids at night? My DH thinks he will want to stay far away from us but I've read things about humans being bitten at night how true is this? Do they really approach people at night? My DH would like to make him a pet if we caught him but I would be just as happy to let him stay free if I don't have to be concerned about my family's safety :( What do guys think about this? Sorry this so long and TIA for any info.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I suspect that the centipede is doing it's level best to get out of the house! I bet the species lives in your area as well, they're pretty widespread. Most likley, you'll never see it again, but if someone gets bit,they're not deadly, but it'll hurt. I don't think they're drawn to people, but in tropical countries where people sleep on the floor and the houses aren't inslated and are relatively open, they may wander into peoples beds. When someone rolls over on top of a centipede, it'll bite.

I don't think you have much to worry about.

Wade