Texas pede's (and surrounding states)

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello all,
I was thinking of getting a centipede, and was wondering what locations in Texas would be a good place to start looking. ie. what species are here and where are they?
I live in the DFW area, but not afraid to drive a little bit.
Now is not the best time to look, I'm sure, but just wanted to plan ahead.

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Go ahead and add millipedes to the question as well. Habitats, range, species, experience finding...

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Three good sized species I've come across are Narceus americanus (first pic) in e tx under and in rotting logs. I find two desert species crossing the roads in w tx. Don't know the sci names but a common name for a common sp out there is Desert millipede. Gets around 6 to 7 inches. I come across a black one out there (second pic) that is pretty nice looking and much less common than the bigger, brownish Desert milli. I usually see them up to 3 inches and kind of stocky looking. I've seen the sci name but can't remember it. Somebody might mention it.

Last edited:

Dorcus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think the Scientific name for the Desert Millipede is the Orthoporus ornatus

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've only seen those in photos before. Whereabouts did you find it? Nice contrast.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i dont know the name of them common name MAY be almond milipede. but there is a light colored flat milipede in east Texas south of Tyler that does give off the almond scent of cyanide .
S. heros castaniceps centipedes are found in the rocks close to water in the hill country and a little red one i forgot the name of them is found all over lol