Texas famous lizard

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
These guys were hanging out on an ant bed and werent running away so my wife and i shot them(with our nikons lol)

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome! Seriously, what part of Texas are you in? You have some amazing finds!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap: oh, very nice! i love those little guys,nice shot's of them.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
awesome pics..hats off to you, sir!:clap:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
those in your yard, s of dallas? I haven't seen those east of IH35 in about 30 years, rock! I used to find them allot in Bryan but ...not in years

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Coolness!

How do they do as pets? Can they be found up my way near Lawton Ok?

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Coolness!

How do they do as pets? Can they be found up my way near Lawton Ok?
very illegal to even catch here..not sure about OK..they are endangered..so please dont.
pretty much all captured ones die from starvation.
they eat a specific kind of ant and there's no way to provide them in the quantity and frequency they require.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
super specialize captive care requirements

i did see a guy who had BRED them though! it was at some herp show in San Diego, CA... there was a mom and like 4-5 babies... it was absolutely amazing to see :D

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
very illegal to even catch here..not sure about OK..they are endangered..so please dont.
pretty much all captured ones die from starvation.
they eat a specific kind of ant and there's no way to provide them in the quantity and frequency they require.
I've heard of guys who have started ant colonies specifically for feeding a horned lizard, but short of that...

In general though, really bad idea to try and keep them as pets, even if they weren't endangered, you're right.

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I saw a couple at the Metroplex show a couple of years ago. They didn't look to be in good health, but at least the sellers were warning people about the need for a constant ant source.

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had one of those horned lizards from Arizona when I was 8, it didn't live very long:( poor little guy,

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I saw a couple at the Metroplex show a couple of years ago. They didn't look to be in good health, but at least the sellers were warning people about the need for a constant ant source.
i wonder if they knew they were endangered and illegal to even own?

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm guessing not.

Either way, it was very irresponsible of them and a sad sight.
that is sad..bummer they were in bad shape.
i think people are generally more educated nowdays, concerning fauna..but we can only hope that these cases it is enough to save them.
i get bummed that i havent seen one in the wild in decades, here.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yes they are illegal to keep in captivity. i assume you could claim to own them if they lived on your property lol.
They MUST have harverter ants to survive. They will eat other insects but they MUST have large numbers of HArvestor ants. Our attempt to eliminate fire ants has decimated the harverster ant pops and that probably the main cause of the demise of the horned lizards.
I think they are legal in Nevada. but if you buy them there and bring them to Texas you broke the law. I believe you can get non native horned lizards legally but ...
there are a few places in Texas with vast numbers of them but im not telling on here where they are and i am sure you all understand why.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes they are illegal to keep in captivity. i assume you could claim to own them if they lived on your property lol.
They MUST have harverter ants to survive. They will eat other insects but they MUST have large numbers of HArvestor ants. Our attempt to eliminate fire ants has decimated the harverster ant pops and that probably the main cause of the demise of the horned lizards.
I think they are legal in Nevada. but if you buy them there and bring them to Texas you broke the law. I believe you can get non native horned lizards legally but ...
there are a few places in Texas with vast numbers of them but im not telling on here where they are and i am sure you all understand why.
agreed.

oh..and i know where they are..lol.but am not saying either.:worship:

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi!

These guys (do not sure this species or any other, possibly not USA one) are regularly exported all over the world.
There were several imports here in Russia, but not any were lived more than 6-7 months.
After study some real resaearchers works and publications like Pianka's it is of concern that near 60% of the food should be consusts of ants...
This is sucks as it is the one of the most impressive and amazing species of the lizard fauna wordlwide... :(