Terrestrial Ts hanging out on the side of their enclosures

cold blood

Staff member
2017030495131750.jpg I seriously doubt there is a root cause...I see this as just normal t behavior. I just checked and I currently have 8 terrestrials on the walls, in fact, there is almost no time where none of them are on the walls. I see it as normal behavior when boundaries are put in place...I don't see it as an issue at all...just enjoy the fact that they're visible and showing you their parts in case you want to sex them...convenient if you ask me.

Its not light, its not temp, and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with the conversation present. This pic is not a worrisome one for me, and it shouldn't be for anyone.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Since I live in an older house with drafts, I have to run a heater pretty much all the time in the winter. Mine do this often in the winter because they're much more sensitive to the temperature changes than I am. I'd be worried if they do this and then refuse eating.

My LP climbs the most all year round and she's perfectly healthy.

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
View attachment 233001 I seriously doubt there is a root cause...I see this as just normal t behavior. I just checked and I currently have 8 terrestrials on the walls, in fact, there is almost no time where none of them are on the walls. I see it as normal behavior when boundaries are put in place...I don't see it as an issue at all...just enjoy the fact that they're visible and showing you their parts in case you want to sex them...convenient if you ask me.

Its not light, its not temp, and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with the conversation present. This pic is not a worrisome one for me, and it shouldn't be for anyone.
But all on the same side? Seems more than a little coincidental.

I vote for rotating every enclosure ninety degrees to see if they still gravitate to that side. :pompous:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i notice alot of my terrestrials on the side of the cage nearest to the space heater. i have to disagree with cold blood there, i think the most likely cause is that theres a source of heat its trying to get closer to on that side. my terrestrials still climb when the heaters off, but less often.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I am no thermal expert, but I personally don't see how one enclosure wall could be that much warmer than another wall if there is no heat source nearby (heat pad or heat lamp). Even with a space heater the distance would likely be far enough away to not create that big of a gradient between the enclosure walls. But that is my non-expert opinion.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I am no thermal expert, but I personally don't see how one enclosure wall could be that much warmer than another wall if there is no heat source nearby (heat pad or heat lamp). Even with a space heater the distance would likely be far enough away to not create that big of a gradient between the enclosure walls. But that is my non-expert opinion.
Hence why an annoying draft is a more plausible explanation.

When I moved into a house that has central air conditioning I was amazed when I discovered I would get chilly at night. One night a couple weeks into being there I realized that I could feel a draft (moving air) on me. So I followed it to the source. The cold air from the air conditioning vent in the ceiling bounces off the wall it is close to, then the location of my wall shelf forces it downwards and right smack on my face.

A perfect storm situation. @spidertherapy78 s situation might be something similar.

cold blood

Staff member
Ahh, I somehow missed that they were all on the same wall...thanks for that clarification...probably just the warm wall...heat duct probably runs behind it.

I still don't think its a "problem" though.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I would turn the two T containers different directions. It is also possible the T's just favor that wall as a place to rest.

If we are talking about ventilation then the air flow is in the same direction for both enclosures (assuming they are next to each other and hole patterns are similar?????) But if both enclosures have holes on all four side walls. I don't see how the T would prefer one side over the opposite side since air flow will be in the same direction for each opposite wall.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Thanks for all of the thoughtful input, everyone. The theory about this being related to temps makes a lot of sense to me. I use a space heater to keep the room warm and there is a draft window. The sides they are on is probably the warmest, where the closet holds in heat and is farthest from where the closet is left slightly open, which is where a draft would come in.

They seem pretty warm today and they were all hanging out on the substrate or burrowed. Looks like they all made a mess of their water dishes this weekend though. Ts being ts!