terrarium size for avicularia avicularia

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello all! I am going to pick up an adult pinktoe and possibly a Chaco golden knee next week, but I am unsure what size terrarium I should get for the pinktoe. Is 8"x8"x12" large enough, or should I get a 12"x12"x12"? I will put the golden knee in my 10 gallon aquarium for awhile. I am new to having t's, but after handling a few pinktoes this weekend, I really want one of these fun little guys!

Thanks!

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello all! I am going to pick up an adult pinktoe and possibly a Chaco golden knee next week, but I am unsure what size terrarium I should get for the pinktoe. Is 8"x8"x12" large enough, or should I get a 12"x12"x12"? I will put the golden knee in my 10 gallon aquarium for awhile. I am new to having t's, but after handling a few pinktoes this weekend, I really want one of these fun little guys!

Thanks!
I would put an adult A. avicularia in a 5 gallon tank. We had one in a 10 gallon, but it really was a whole lotta room for it. Luckily it was a M(ature)M(ale), so it was constantly roaming and made use of it. We keep all of our adults in 10 gallon tanks, but 5 gallon is just fine for that species and what we plan to keep our next one in.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Did you stand it up om it's end and make a lid out of plexiglass or something? I have seen a few of those online so far.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Did you stand it up om it's end and make a lid out of plexiglass or something? I have seen a few of those online so far.
That's really the best way to do it. A 2.5 gallon will work for this species as well, but a 5 gallon is definitely fine, and easier to find.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The only thing that worries me is making it with enough ventilation holes. I understand that if you do not use enough, the pinktoe can die. Has anyone used the glass terrariums with the sliding screen lids?

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
not the best idea to use the screen but you can use screen and fasten it down with rubber backs and hooks and cover up half of it (not very attractive but it gets the job done and for a laying down one i would just put a book on top of it

best thing to fo would be get a 5 gallon and but some plexi glass and take 1/4 off the bottom and sylacone or hot glue it on add hinges and add the other peace then fasten it on with a lock

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only thing that worries me is making it with enough ventilation holes. I understand that if you do not use enough, the pinktoe can die. Has anyone used the glass terrariums with the sliding screen lids?
We make plexiglass doors for our arboreal enclosures. They aren't hard to make, but it is a craft project. I have typed up directions on making one before, I will see if I can find it. You will need plexiglass with a little section on the bottom to use as a retaining wall to keep the substrate in, hinges, drill/ soldering iron, hot glue/ silicone, and a latching mechanism. We use clear packing tape on both sides, because it was the easiest, and we felt, more escape proof.

As far as ventilation is concerned, you should be able to make a couple rows of holes in the door and it will be fine. It is a debatable subject that Avicularia species require more ventilation, but more ventilation doesn't hurt either.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I appreciate all of your answers! I think I will get the exo-terra nano at the same time I buy the spider, and probablly the furnishings as well. I am so excited to be getting my first aboreal T, and my second T ever :). My B. Smithi's abdomen is getting really black, so I will get to see my first molt soon (I hope) so this month is turning out pretty good!