Terrarium for my Arizona Blonde

snickerdoodleT

Arachnopeon
Hi!! I'm new to the tarantula world and just purchased an Arizona Blonde T (Aphonopelma chalcodes). She is a wild caught 2.5 T and I just want to know what I need to get for her new home. I would assume since she is terrestrial that I don't need to worry about her climbing the walls or anything, but will she burrow a lot?

Thanks!!

Poonjab

Arachnoking
First off, should have done research before you purchased. Second, it will climb, and it Will fall. They are more prone to injury from a fall due to being heavy bodied terrestrials. Keep it on bone dry sub. Make sure substrate is packed and provide it with a hide it can burrow under. Give it a water dish. At that size you can keep it in a Standard size critter keeper. Make sure the sub to lid ratio is no more that 1.5 times the diagonal leg span of the T. This prevents deaths from a fall. In the meantime, do more research on this species. This should get you going for now. Others will fill in the gaps.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
My AF is in a 14 x 8 x 6 (roughly). My sub adult in a large critter keeper. They like moving dirt. Hide, water dish and substrate. Pretty simple

Minty

@londontarantulas
Hi!! I'm new to the tarantula world and just purchased an Arizona Blonde T (Aphonopelma chalcodes). She is a wild caught 2.5 T and I just want to know what I need to get for her new home. I would assume since she is terrestrial that I don't need to worry about her climbing the walls or anything, but will she burrow a lot?

Thanks!!
Ventilation holes, Coco fibre substrate at least half the height of the enclosure, a hide (cork bark preferable) and a water dish is all you need.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
At 2.5" you'll want to house in a small faunarium/kritter keeper (or equivalent sized ventilated plastic tub), fill halfway with dry substrate, provide a hide and water dish.

Small kk - 4.5L tub.JPG

Dead Blue Deer

Arachnopeon
Echoing what others have said — she will climb! A. chalcodes actually climb quite a bit, both in captivity and in nature. My A. chalcodes is constantly exploring her enclosure, climbs up the glass, crawls upside-down on the lid (do not use wire mesh), etc. Make sure you have plenty of substrate to avoid bad falls.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
This is Lennox AKA Chonk. She thinks she's a Bulldozer. That hide was all the way to the far left, centered, rotated 90 degrees and buried in substrate. (hence all the dirt in the grooves)
So she A) Removed all the dirt and made a mound in the middle (you can see the arch in the dirt) B) Picked up her hide and moved it 4 inches up hill and rotated it 90 degrees.

I left it as-is, as clearly I am not the boss of her
ChonkDozer.jpg T