Terrarium for A. Avicularia

arabellamay

Arachnopeon
820E45D9-1F07-4613-BBC4-0BDF564BA250.jpeg

Just built a terrarium for my a. avic. What do you guys think? Is it a good size?

Tank details:
- Ten gallon tank with arboreal conversion
- Substrate bottom to top: Rock, charcoal, cocoa fiber mixed with potting soil + spring tails
- A few real plants that are pretty hardy / don’t need a lot of light
- Grapevine wood held up by fake vines, also lots of fake plants / succulents
- 2 pieces of cork bark glued to the sides of the tank
- Water bowl

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don't cook your T w/that lamp, not sure how hot that gets. Also, the ventilation may or may not work. Could get too moist/stuffy in there, and your Avic will die.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Don't cook your T w/that lamp, not sure how hot that gets. Also, the ventilation may or may not work. Could get too moist/stuffy in there, and your Avic will die.
Nice catch. I didn’t even notice the lamp.

arabellamay

Arachnopeon
The lamp is actually usually for my gecko, I just put it on there for the picture lighting! The avic doesn’t have any external heating lamps or pads, the room temp is usually 74 ish.

For the ventilation do you have any suggestions? I added about 10 holes to the back (like centimeter diameter each) near to the upper top. This is the wall that’s directly across from the front door wall. There aren’t holes on the ceiling and the two “side” walls don’t have holes. The door wall has the vent you can see in the picture.

He is currently in his old enclosure which is about 5x8 with cork bark and recently molted which is why I’ve been trying to work on his bigger enclosure since he seems close to adult size.

Let me know any advice and thank you for replying!

Poonjab

Arachnoking
The lamp is actually usually for my gecko, I just put it on there for the picture lighting! The avic doesn’t have any external heating lamps or pads, the room temp is usually 74 ish.

For the ventilation do you have any suggestions? I added about 10 holes to the back (like centimeter diameter each) near to the upper top. This is the wall that’s directly across from the front door wall. There aren’t holes on the ceiling and the two “side” walls don’t have holes. The door wall has the vent you can see in the picture.

He is currently in his old enclosure which is about 5x8 with cork bark and recently molted which is why I’ve been trying to work on his bigger enclosure since he seems close to adult size.

If you can drill holes in the top, do that as well. Avics just need lots of ventilation in general.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Ah, wasn't sure with the light. 99.9% of people are using to cook their Ts. With glass tanks you are limited a bit, unless you are very good at drilling holes in glass.

I would holes in the top however. This is how ExoTerra's function, and the glass cubes we see in EU, air is drawn in from the bottom front, and pulled up through the top.