Termite spraying

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello,

I did try a search on this topic but didn't exactly what I was looking for. I need to treat a room in my house for termites. I will be doing the spraying myself with a spray bought at the garden center containing Deitamethrin. I do not have anywhere to take my T's so I was wondering if I put them in a closet with the door closed and a towel at the bottom, inside of a room with the door closed and a towel at the bottom would they be ok? I also closed the vent inside of the room.

Also, if you can tell me how long I should wait before bringing them back out that would be helpful. Or if there is an alternative for killing termites besides the spray.

thanks

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello,

I did try a search on this topic but didn't exactly what I was looking for. I need to treat a room in my house for termites. I will be doing the spraying myself with a spray bought at the garden center containing Deitamethrin. I do not have anywhere to take my T's so I was wondering if I put them in a closet with the door closed and a towel at the bottom, inside of a room with the door closed and a towel at the bottom would they be ok? I also closed the vent inside of the room.

Also, if you can tell me how long I should wait before bringing them back out that would be helpful. Or if there is an alternative for killing termites besides the spray.

thanks
That might work, but I still wouldn't risk it.

You'd don't have any relatives are friends your Ts can remain temporarily?
I would wait a couple weeks before reintroducing the Ts to your home.

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
How bought takin them outside? I think the spray should last for a few hours, when it's safe for you to go back in, it's safe for the T. Check the direction on the back of the spray.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well I personally would move them to another room entirely. When you are done spraying ventaliate the room then you can return them to that room when you cant smell the chemicals anymore.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How bought takin them outside? I think the spray should last for a few hours, when it's safe for you to go back in, it's safe for the T. Check the direction on the back of the spray.
Yaa, I still would be more cautious. Ts are far more sensitive then we are. Outside could possibly work.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies, I haven't found anywhere to take them yet that is why I was asking. The room I would put them in is a separate bedroom closet with the closet door closed and then the bedroom door closed and towels placed underneath. I checked the back of the bottle and all it says is that it is extremely toxic to fish and bees exposed to direct treatment. It says it can irritate skin and cause it to tingle for people. the room I am treating is a new addition that is our living room that apparently wasn't treated during construction. This is the only room I am spraying.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If I take them outside how long would they have to stay there? the lows for the next two days are upper 50s and lower 60s.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies, I haven't found anywhere to take them yet that is why I was asking. The room I would put them in is a separate bedroom closet with the closet door closed and then the bedroom door closed and towels placed underneath. I checked the back of the bottle and all it says is that it is extremely toxic to fish and bees exposed to direct treatment. It says it can irritate skin and cause it to tingle for people. the room I am treating is a new addition that is our living room that apparently wasn't treated during construction. This is the only room I am spraying.

If thats the case, then it should be fine. I'd give it a go, but expect the worst. With the temperatures like that I'd do the first Idea, go with the closet thing.

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What does the label say for application? Is it a barrier spray or an aerosol type? (Don't really have termites up here so I wouldn't know how you control them specifially)
I would be very concerned about spraying an aerosol pyrethrin near any invertebrate.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Forgot to mention that.. It would be sprayed as a stream for spot treatment... not into the air as a fine mist. It would be a fairly localized application hitting a couple spots where I have seen them. I don't have base board trim up yet so I would be spraying a stream in the crack between the floor and the drywall....

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
In that case, it sounds like your separate room/towel method should be fine. Does the label give any respiratory warnings for people?

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks for the reply... No there are no respiratory warnings for people. Only contact warnings for minor skin irritation.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Then you shouldn't have any risk at all of it aerosolizing and harming your Ts across the house. Just wait a few days to be extra extra sure.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just a final update... Thank you to everyone who responded. I just finished spraying and I think my T's will be fine. I bought a spray with a battery powered sprayer and I would recommend it to anyone. It shot a fine stream and I detected no odor or anything that would possibly harm them. I know that just because I don't smell it doesnt mean its not there but I was fearing a horrilbe gaseous smell... Thanks again