Termite Spraying

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are Ts(and scorps) affected? And how long should I keep them out of the house? Cuz I know after 12 hours, the smell is still there... is the smell not safe too by the way or just direct contact with the chemical?

BIG THANKS!

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just so long as the smell is not overwelming I would think it would be ok. Just make absolutly sure there are no airborne particles of the chemical floating around and I'm not sure how you would make sure of that except more time. I'd wait until I could not smell it myself.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What are they using? I would guess either chlorfenapyr or fipronil. Both bind to the soil and don't volatilise, so other than aerosol's at the time of spraying, shouldn't pose any threat after everything settles.

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are Ts(and scorps) affected? And how long should I keep them out of the house? Cuz I know after 12 hours, the smell is still there... is the smell not safe too by the way or just direct contact with the chemical?

BIG THANKS!
what area of the house did they treat, sub area attic interior, exterior walls, im a termite inspector

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually, they will treat it tomorrow. The whole place... interior, exterior, attic, etc.

Its a spraying method, as well as those liquid that they put in holes. Ill ask tomorrow the name of the chemical.

THANKS guys!

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if there doing the whole house, i would take all inverts out, and ask the tech how long there will be residuals in the house and explain your situation to them.
im not sure what kind of chemicals they use in the phillipenes!
Warren

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ooh... different country, different rules. They could even be using chloridane or dursban... who knows. I'm definitely interested to know what chemical they'll be using.

bassgod

Arachnopeon
I lived in the philippines all my life until recently, and from what i know they use chlordane.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Chloridane is hands-down the most effective pesticide to combat termites. Unfortunately, it has been linked to significant side effects in humans and animals. These only occur with direct exposure tho, so many here in the States weren't happy with the ban, and still use what they have sitting on the shelf in the garage.

Not sure how it behaves in the air compared with the current options, and/or what effect it would have on Ts.