Terminal legs for reference?

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey guys,
i was just thinking. that whenever we have female of a certain species. we should take a picture of their terminal legs and keep them for reference. so later on you be able to look back and say that a female s. subspinipes Mau Chau terminal legs look like this. what do you think?
i just bought two vietnamese S. subspinipes with slightly different terminal legs. One with lesser spikes and one with longer terminal legs and with slightly more spikes. I found a pic online with a vietnamese subspinipes laying eggs, and its terminal legs look like one of mine. this helped me dertermine which one of my centipede is the female. i plan on breeding them in the summer and this will confirm if in fact it is a female or not.

Last edited:

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am no authority on this but, am extremely interested in this topic. It would be great to hear some of the veterans ideas on this. Great pic kyuzo

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that doesn't look like ur picture, and u should give the one who take that pic some credits, and bettr let he kniw u used it, or else it can get u into some troubles

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes, i apoligize for posting the picture without giving credit to the individual that took it. i save it from somewhere, but i do not remember where. If you (who took this picture), have a problem with me posting it, please feel free to say so and i will take it off immediately.
thanks,
KyuZo

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That picture come's from Vincent, and it isn't too dificult to find where did yoy find it if there is some web site direction printed in the bottom of the image.

In other hand, maybe your pedes are not the same subpecies. Diferent spikes, in the case of the same specie (specially S. subspinipes spp.) usually inform to you, that is not the same subspecie. But maybe you can breed it if there are male and female. Take it. I'm going to try breed diferent colormorphs, later, maybe some day different subspecies.

Cheers
Carles

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would say that the idea of sexing or trying to determine the sex of them would be easier said than done...most of what I've read on the topic kinda pushes me towards the "If it lays eggs, It's a Female" theory...Who knows, perhaps it would be easier to tell if the pede had more or less spikes on it's terminal legs...Still a good idea, and I'll throw up a couple pix of the terms on my pedes later on this week....We'll just have to see

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok,:wall: but what have we to do if we don't know if this pede lays eggs or not? Oviously if the pede lay eggs is a female...:wall:
We are trying to know the sex of the pede wiout know if it lay or not eggs. The better method ( but not sure in 100%) is comparing terminal leggs betwen two pedes. You also can try, if you are lucky, puting 2 pedes and wait to see what happen, maybe sex, or maybe death, or maybe nothing.

Cheers
Carles

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
i just bought two vietnamese S. subspinipes with slightly different terminal legs. One with lesser spikes and one with longer terminal legs and with slightly more spikes.
could you post pictures of their "spines" ? which part of the ultimate legs are you referring to ? which side of the prefemur ?

different amount or arrangement of spines could indicate 1 of the legs has been regenerated or maybe they are different specie or subspecie.

as far as i know no specie can be sexed by the amount of prefemoral spines.
the difference in thickness / longiness of ultimate legs could indicate different gender.

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi,

Does the buildup of their body can be a hint to their sexes? I mean stronger, heavier scolos might be females, and thicker, longer ones are males?

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I meant to say the spikes (not spines) on their terminal legs. here are the pictures of one that i think is a male and one that i think is female. I think that my female terminal legs are similar to the one in the picture above.
When i attempt to breed them i might use a screen to start out to see how their reaction will be like thru the screen, then if it's seem safe enough, i'll take out the screen and allow full contact. have anyone ever try this method before?
male?
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m90/NetSerpent2003/male.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m90/NetSerpent2003/samemale.jpg
female?
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m90/NetSerpent2003/female.jpg
thanks,
kyuzo

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Definatly have a good couple looking Pede's There too...I havn't tried the screen method before, so I would just say be careful when you do...MAKE SURE that the screen is held in pretty well~ Most of us know how agressive some of these Can be....Good Luck Eitherway!