Tennessee Endemic Millipede

GemTheBirder

Arachnopeon
Choctella cumminsi, to be exact. I ran across several of these small millipedes at a local parka few days ago. Info on this species/genus seems to be pretty scarce, even bugguide only has a few photos and very little info. From what I can gather, this genus is found only in a small area in the Southeast and is made up of two species. Choctella cumminsi is endemic to middle Tennessee, from Nashville and south. The other species, C. hubrichti, is endemic to northern Alabama. What they lacked in size, they made up for in colors. The photos don't show it great, but they were a beautiful shiny galactic swirl of blue-blacks and red-oranges with the segments seperated by silverish bands. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to collect any because i was on park property, but still wanted to share some photos with the community since info on them is so scarce. millipede cedars of lebanon 3 fix.jpg millipede cedars of lebanon 2 fix.jpg

The Odd Pet

Arachnoknight
They are very beautiful. If you get them to breed I would love to buy some from you.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
They look like little chrome/aluminum worms, I wish you luck in establishing them in the hobby! I didn’t even know this species existed until now!

GemTheBirder

Arachnopeon
Success! While out flipping rocks with my little cousin we found two C. cumminsi together under a small piece of limestone. Then, a week or so later while out birding, I found three more crawling across the road. I've had the group of five together for a week or so now and they seem to be doing fine.

They don't have the blue/black of the ones from the original post, but I believe they are C. cumminsi. They have the same caramel-swirled segments separated by silver bands.

Hopefully they reproduce easily and we can get this beautiful Tennessee endemic established in the hobby.
20200525_152736.jpg

Lucanus95

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wish you the best luck. These are also found in northern Alabama. The other species was found more close to central Alabama (near Birmingham).

GemTheBirder

Arachnopeon
Wish you the best luck. These are also found in northern Alabama. The other species was found more close to central Alabama (near Birmingham).
Thanks for the reply. So not a TN endemic, that's good to know. Do you have any experience with them or any other tidbits of info? I haven't been able to find much of anything on them.

davehuth

Arachnoknight
I think these would do well in the hobby, please keep us updated on anything you learn about keeping/reproducing them. Good luck!

Lucanus95

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply. So not a TN endemic, that's good to know. Do you have any experience with them or any other tidbits of info? I haven't been able to find much of anything on them.
Unfortunately there aren't much info out there other than their range and habitat. I'm planning on driving up to Huntsville tomorrow to see if I can collect a few for breeding.

GemTheBirder

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately there aren't much info out there other than their range and habitat. I'm planning on driving up to Huntsville tomorrow to see if I can collect a few for breeding.
Thanks and good luck on your collecting trip. Please post a update if you get something going. It would be cool to see both species in the hobby.

Lucanus95

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I ended up seeing close to a hundred on my trip. They were all over the trail I was at, looking for mates in broad daylight! Of all the ones I saw only 8 were females and rest were males. I kept 3 pairs so let's see how it goes.

GemTheBirder

Arachnopeon
I ended up seeing close to a hundred on my trip. They were all over the trail I was at, looking for mates in broad daylight! Of all the ones I saw only 8 were females and rest were males. I kept 3 pairs so let's see how it goes.
Very nice! I'm not having anywhere near that luck here with cumminsi. Best luck on your breeding efforts. Would love to see a photo or two if you get the time.

heldipede

Arachnopeon
Hey! I’m in the Nashville Tn area and just saw these posts about finding them! I’m wondering how your efforts were going and where you’re hunting and collecting? I’m in love with c. Cumminsi and have been searching all spring and summer it feels like with no luck! :(