Temperature?

SFay00

Arachnopeon
I have a female GBB tarantula and was wondering what is the best temperature for her and what is the lowest temp it could go if anything.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Tarantulas aren't nearly as fragile as other exotic pets. For a species as hardy as C. cyaneopubescens, any temperatures between 60F and 90F shouldn't cause any worry. Basically, if you're not freezing or going through heat stroke, then they're probably fine.

iwlim

Arachnopeon
Your GBB will do just fine at room temperature, but if you want her to grow faster, you can keep the temperature around 80F.

cold blood

Staff member
60's would be night lows. Daytime temps should really be at least 68-70.

SFay00

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas aren't nearly as fragile as other exotic pets. For a species as hardy as C. cyaneopubescens, any temperatures between 60F and 90F shouldn't cause any worry. Basically, if you're not freezing or going through heat stroke, then they're probably fine.
Great thankyou!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wouldn't subject your GBB to chronic night time lows below 68 at all based on where they live (Paraguaná Peninsula). In fact, I wouldn't subject it to 60 at all if you can prevent it.

The temps don't reach 60-65 typically, usually hover 68-72 in the winter.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Tarantulas aren't nearly as fragile as other exotic pets. For a species as hardy as C. cyaneopubescens, any temperatures between 60F
That is too low in my opinion based on where they are from.

They live in a very xeric environment.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That is too low in my opinion based on where they are from.

They live in a very xeric environment.
Agreed, but they're very hardy as you know. Back during my time in Nebraska, the nights would dip down to below 60F with daytime temps never breaking 65F. Never said it was ideal, but they'll survive and grow just fine.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Agreed, but they're very hardy as you know. Back during my time in Nebraska, the nights would dip down to below 60F with daytime temps never breaking 65F. Never said it was ideal, but they'll survive and grow just fine.
Understood, but your reply to the OP and others who read may read it didn't specify the above ie "not ideal". Your reply reads as if keeping them at 60 regularly is "just fine". To quote you "shouldn't cause any worry".

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Understood, but your reply to the OP and others who read may read it didn't specify the above ie "not ideal". Your reply reads as if keeping them at 60 regularly is "just fine". To quote you "shouldn't cause any worry".
Ah, fair enough. I was gearing it towards the OP bringing up worst case scenarios. It shouldn't be a worry, but that doesn't mean it's a great idea either.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I have one room that I store my spiders in. has a room heater set to 75 keep my house at 71. the stirmi are in rubber maid tubs that keep their temps 3 degrees higher than the rest of the room. I have quite a few now, from spiderlings to adults, and have yet to have any die. I check their water ever day and change it out or top off whenever it's needed.