temperature from the bottom

Agronesse

Arachnopeon
heat shoots from the bottom of the creature's nest, do you think this will cause a problem?

There is a warmth that does not burn my hand but warms my hand when I touch the floor under its slot.

Attachments

Dorifto

He who moists xD
That's a big no.

Heat always should be over the substrate, not beneath. On very few occasions undertank heat sources are used, and with a lot of preventive measures. They need temp gradients in order to regulate their bodies, and they mainly use their burrows for that, heating from beneath deprives them that option.

Being from turkey you should have temps warm enough to really need any aditional heat source. If it's to heat any other animal, I'd put an insulator beneath

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Ditch the supplemental heat unless it’s like 10-13c even if your house is in the 60’s it’s not going to harm them only slow down the growth rate. Heat lamps and supplemental heat for tarantulas is a carry over from reptiles and pet stores.

If you heating something else below like a scorpion I would love the tarantula or scorpion where they do not heat each other, from the bottom especially as it is now.

Agronesse

Arachnopeon
I don't use the heater lamp for tarantulas. yes, you are right, there is no need for an additional heater for tarantulas. but the heater lamp has to stay there because I use that lamp for another animal. As long as that lamp stays there, is the tarantula at risk of dying?

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I don't think it's the OP's intent to use supplemental heating. I think the question at hand is is this shelf to warm to house a tarantula because of the heating elements on the shelf below. IMO, 30°C is not really a temperature you want to maintain a tarantula at and I would opt for a different place for the enclosure.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I don't use the heater lamp for tarantulas. yes, you are right, there is no need for an additional heater for tarantulas. but the heater lamp has to stay there because I use that lamp for another animal. As long as that lamp stays there, is the tarantula at risk of dying?
If it heats up the bottom of the enclosure, there is always a risk.

You can place an insulator beneath that shelf, so the heat does not reach the enclosure.

If you accept a suggestion, get a nice bag of topsoil with clay on it. It will provide better gradients and will insulate at the same time, and place a rockwool or similar insulator beneath the shelf, it should solve the issue.

Last edited:

Agronesse

Arachnopeon
If it heats up the bottom of the enclosure, there is always a risk.

You can place an insulator beneath that shelf, so the heat does not reach the enclosure.

If you accept a suggestion, get a nice bag of topsoil with clay on it. It will provide bettet gradients and will insulate at the same time, and place a rockwool or similar insulator beneath the shelf, it should solve the issue.
Thank you very much, I will definitely do that.