Temperature for tarantulas

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
During the Winter my room gets to lows of 55 at night sometimes With heat off, and Summer I use an air conditioner room gets to low 60’s. Is it correct I cannot keep a tarantula? Typically my room is no lower than 65 and in Summer can get in the 90’s

Last edited:

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
It all depends. 🙂
It appears you have other exotics. If you're keeping roaches and reptiles, you can figure it out.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
In general, tarantulas can tolerate temperatures as low as 70F but ideally I find 75F+ to be more adequate for sure. Any colder than 70F then it becomes complicated.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Some species are more tolerant but generally 65 is about as low as you want to go.
<edit>

Typically my room is no lower than 65 and in Summer can get in the 90’s
If this is the case and you can keep the room over 65 in the winter and in the 80's when it's hot then yes, you can certainly keep a tarantula.

Last edited by a moderator:

Polenth

Arachnobaron
During the Winter my room gets to lows of 55 at night sometimes With heat off, and Summer I use an air conditioner room gets to low 60’s. Is it correct I cannot keep a tarantula? Typically my room is no lower than 65 and in Summer can get in the 90’s
Plunging the room down to 60F in summer then letting it rise to 90F is quite extreme. It'll likely help to come up with a more consistent way to cool and warm the room, so it's not jumping around as much as you seem to be suggesting. How quickly you go between temperatures also matters, even if the temperatures would be fine otherwise.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Too cool for almost all species. There’s a few Chilean species that live in cold temps, but they are not at all common.

75-85 is a decent range for most.

I use 72 myself.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
65°F is about as low as you'd want to go, generally speaking. There are species like M. mesomelas that are fine at lower temps but vast majority of species are fine anywhere between 65°F - 90°F.

kjm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I generally try to keep my T room around 75f but there are times it’s dropped in the low 60’s overnight during the winter months. Tarantulas are tolerant of temp change as long as it’s not extreme and sudden. Also in the winter you could alway try placing plastic around the inside of the windows to help keep heat inside the room. -Best of luck-

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
I don't use any external heating source for mine other than the central heating. I am in the UK, so mine will drop to lowest of 19 degrees C overnight and in daytime around 23-24C during winter, then during summer there's no heating in the house at all so overnight will probably be around 22 and day time anywhere from 24-27C.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Where is everyone getting these numbers from? I am curious because there are Aphonopelma species in Arizona that survive temps reaching below freezing and can experience 40 degree fluctuation in a single day. I understand they burrow during these times of year, but the burrows are also reaching temps as low as 55F or even lower. This is how the tortoise's hibernate in the same area each winter where they have underground recorded temps of 40F.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Where is everyone getting these numbers from? I am curious because there are Aphonopelma species in Arizona that survive temps reaching below freezing and can experience 40 degree fluctuation in a single day. I understand they burrow during these times of year, but the burrows are also reaching temps as low as 55F or even lower. This is how the tortoise's hibernate in the same area each winter where they have underground recorded temps of 40F.
I live in Southern CA, don't run any heat in my home and I do no thermal regulation on my Chalcodes and Steindachneris and they all do fine