Temperament

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I kind of think we are being trolled. But if so, this one must be hungry, so I will feed the poor little thing, even though the possibility exists that the guy is just stupid. Now, I do not ordinarily sling insults like that around, but anybody who does not know how easily public opinion and over-zealous politicians can influence laws is exactly that. Not naive, not misinformed, just plain stupid. Or living under a rock, maybe, but that's being too generous, I think.

Here where I live, a bill was signed by the governor prohibiting certain species. We got lucky, they repealed the law. Pressure from retailers probably played a part along with advocates. But the fact that it went as far as it did is indicative of what can happen.

If somebody gets bitten by a hot species, the headlines won't read "Man bit by venomous spider, given Benadryl and sent home" but will scream "MAN BITTEN BY DANGEROUS SPIDER, LAWMAKERS PONDER BLANKET BAN!"

It doesn't even really have to be a bite. if some kid (or adult for that matter) gets blinded by urticating hairs, the results would be similar just replace "bitten" with "blinded". This is the reason these anti-handling threads exist.

The comparison to cars was just too ridiculous to even bother addressing.

There is absolutely no good reason to desire to hold anything that does not appreciate the interaction in the least. Arguably, some herps get something out of it like the proximity of warmth, but news-flash- your tarantula or ball python does not love you. Of course, if it is something that is harmless and YOU get something out of it, fine. But tarantulas cannot be classified as strictly harmless in my opinion, it's just a matter of degree.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Whenever i see a post fron people who handle OW...there's always one thing that pops up in my mind...wishful thinking that the OW will get a really good bite out of them. Maybe they'll quit the ridiculous behaviour after that.
Not very nice, i know, but i can't seem to help myself....

@Voyager
As to your question, I believe a member here made a comment on how the tempers compared to each other, saying that 'baboon' species are like tough rough quarterbacks, and the chilobrachys and
haplopelma are more like highly intellectual snipers. Can't find the post. I believe it was @Chris LXXIX

Last edited by a moderator:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Yet others on this board have berated me for telling them that handling old worlds in general is blatant disregard for the animals well being.

You and me both. But that came from fools. Who cares what they think? Do you really want the approval of a fool? The vast majority of members here have enough sense not to handle OW's, and many don't handle NW's either.

Whenever i see a post from people who handle OW...there's always one thing that pops up in my mind...wishful thinking that the OW will get a really good bite out of them. Maybe they'll quit the ridiculous behaviour after that.
Not very nice, i know, but i can't seem to help myself....

I know the feeling, some people really deserve it. But the spider may pay the price with it's life, and with the internet, a bite can go viral. If someone's judgment is so poor that they handle OW's, can you expect it to be better in other areas?

tnerd93

Arachnopeon
I know the feeling, some people really deserve it. But the spider may pay the price with it's life, and with the internet, a bite can go viral. If someone's judgment is so poor that they handle OW's, can you expect it to be better in other areas?
I have been bitten by a p.regalis it really wasnt that bad

had worse days from drinking too much alcohol

you've also been bitten several times rick haha such a pro

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
profanity is prohibited in these forums. Please dont use profanity in your posts. Also, personal attacks are unacceptable. If you can't control your temper our community doesn't need your drama.

I have been bitten by a p.regalis it really wasnt that bad

had worse days from drinking too much alcohol
you've also been bitten several times rick haha such a pro
so who were you before you were tnerd? according to your profile you've only been here since the 17th of this month. Less then 2 weeks ago yet you seem pretty familiar with our members.

Voyager

Arachnopeon
I think you guys ought to calm down...
I didn't intend to start an argument here. I've kept tarantulas for just two years and never handle them except rehousing. I just wanna know more about them.

@Voyager
As to your question, I believe a member here made a comment on how the tempers compared to each other, saying that 'baboon' species are like tough rough quarterbacks, and the chilobrachys and
haplopelma are more like highly intellectual snipers. Can't find the post. I believe it was @Chris LXXIX
What a concrete simile! But that means baboons are relatively jumpier or more "impulsive"?
Thx for the info and I'll read more about the OW species. Keepers and shopowners here frequently compare their temperament so wanna know the difference.

ton of keepers hold their tarantulas but they dont say anything because of threads end up like this
That's also true...

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I think you guys ought to calm down...
I didn't intend to start an argument here. I've kept tarantulas for just two years and never handle them except rehousing. I just wanna know more about them.
The strong posts are not aimed at you, but to the person derailing your thread ;)

What a concrete simile! But that means baboons are relatively jumpier or more "impulsive"?
Thx for the info and I'll read more about the OW species. Keepers and shopowners here frequently
compare their temperament so wanna know the difference.
I think he meant that baboons are more visible defensive, threatposturing at the slightest disturbance. Asian OW are more likely to sudden biting or coming out flash-like of their burrows when you least expect it. (Or so I heard, don't own either)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I think he meant that baboons are more visible defensive, threatposturing at the slightest disturbance. Asian OW are more likely to sudden biting or coming out flash-like of their burrows when you least expect it. (Or so I heard, don't own either)
Nope, that's about right! The Asian terrestrials are very interesting in that they'll turn and chase down an attacker if they get cornered. Most spiders will stand their ground with a threat posture - Asian terrestrials are very skittish... until they feel like there's nowhere else to go. Never corner one unless you have to.

I prefer analogies from MMORPG's! Baboons are your tanks, not scared of very much. Asian terrestrials are your rogues - flighty but scrappy, and they can pack a punch.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
My wee darlingi is always there, always ready to shoot out and say " go away!" My Haplopelma longipes waits patiently, until I have just moved the waterdish or accidentally upset some webbing before she skyrockets out.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Why am I not surprised.
Ya know Poec I believe that it was the great John Wayne who said that "Life is hard but it's harder if you are stupid" . I think wasting any more time on this thread is futile . We are arguing with someone who simply won't listen .

tnerd93

Arachnopeon
Ya know Poec I believe that it was the great John Wayne who said that "Life is hard but it's harder if you are stupid" . I think wasting any more time on this thread is futile . We are arguing with someone who simply won't listen .
no reason to listen to you, you arent the law. funnily enough, im allowed to do whatever i please with my animals. all 200 of my tarantulas are fed and healthy, havent killed any yet by handling them, thats the only concern.

so who were you before you were tnerd? according to your profile you've only been here since the 17th of this month. Less then 2 weeks ago yet you seem pretty familiar with our members.
you realise this isnt the only tarantula forum on the internet?
Why am I not surprised.

Never been bit in over 40 years. You've been bit how many times in how many years?
once in 15 years and that wasnt from handling

usambara doesnt ring any bells eh?

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
no reason to listen to you, you arent the law. funnily enough, im allowed to do whatever i please with my animals. all 200 of my tarantulas are fed and healthy, havent killed any yet by handling them, thats the only concern.

you realise this isnt the only tarantula forum on the internet?

once in 15 years and that wasnt from handling

usambara doesnt ring any bells eh?
When then let us agree to disagree . You keep your Ts the way you see fit and I'll keep mine the way I see fit . Your right I am not the law and I don't claim to be . It is everyone's right to do what the think is best for the animals they own . The handle/don't handle debate is a hot one in this hobby and the lines are clearly drawn . I still say free handling a venomous snake should never be done but you are right that no T bite could really kill you .

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yet others on this board have berated me for telling them that handling old worlds in general is blatant disregard for the animals well being.
Don't let anyone bother you. And if they break the TOS, report them.

Some people on here think one shouldn't report others when they break the TOS. I'm not sure why. There are rules for many reasons.

I also wonder if these same people saw their child/spouse/parent get murdered would they not report a murder?

Rules are rules, it's not a matter of whether it's a forum, or real life.

Last edited:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
[/QUOTE]
no reason to listen to you, you arent the law.

<Snicker>

"You're not the boss of me!" :D

Just curious, though. What do your spiders get out of being handled? It has been pretty much established what the owners get out of it, which is of dubious value, but I haven't be able to figure out what benefit the spiders reap.
I pet my dog. he enjoys it. I enjoy it. Mutual benefit. OWs try to kill you if they are in the mood to do so, clearly they see no benefit in being handled. thus... one-sided benefit.
I don't even really handle my two reptiles except for maintenance. And the ones I have are perfectly okay with being handled. They aren't that sort of "pet" though, so I keep it limited. They won't bond with me, holding them doesn't make me feel any cooler, so exactly what am I missing? Tarantulas won't "tame", they will tolerate you until they don't.

Bottom line- go ahead and handle. But also do this. If you are bitten as a result of handling for kicks, no matter how excruciating the pain, no matter how nauseous you become, no matter if your heart begins beating erratically, do NOT go to the emergency room or seek medical care. Because that is when it could affect the rest of us even if we are not the law. If the bite occurs while doing something needed for the care of the spider, fine. Go get help. It could still have an impact, but accidents happen. But being bitten as a result of handling for the adrenaline rush, or to impress somebody is no accident, so why should the rest of us potentially pay a price?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I like tnerd93 style. He raised the bar of this forum within few days. Bravo.
likable one isnt he? :mad:

to add to the thread, theres a town a half hour from my house where reptiles are banned completely, im pretty sure most arachnids are too. so yeah, they can ban the herp hobby.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
And how do you suppose that happened? Somebody decided that exotics are a threat to humanity. And how did THAT happen? Somewhere, (not necessarily in that town) somebody made a mistake or was negligent, drawing negative attention to the hobby. But nooooo! that would never happen.
Wait. Yes it would. which is why I, who normally would say "Go ahead, get bit, I don't care", speaks up on the topic. I have a pretty good grasp of the sorts that would see pet keeping banned and eagerly await for something to happen to facilitate that.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Somebody decided that exotics are a threat to humanity.

This is the politically correct stance that gets parroted by people with good intentions. I run into it all the time with plants, since I'm turning my yard into a botanical garden. The arguments are:

- "Grow only natives, they evolved here and do better than exotics" - They fail to mention that this is not across-the-board, that a native plant that grows in moist shady areas will quickly die if moved 10 feet away into a sunny, dry spot.

- "Exotics will exploit a new habit and take over, pushing out native plants" - This is a 'Have your cake and eat it too' kind of thing. Either natives grow better or exotics do...pick one.