Temperament difference of Psalmopoeus pulcher and Psalmopoeus irminia

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
P.irminia is one of the most defensive NW T's species out there, some specimens even more than certain OW's.

With that said, they are also very reclusive so once a juve/adult P.iminia reach the final enclosure (so no more rehouse or pack-for-shipping, as an example) such defensiveness is not so relevant.

This talking in general, because T's temperament always vary.

Moebius

Arachnopeon
I've got a few of both (among some other Psalmopoeus), and honestly, the P. irminia are by far the most reclusive of the lot along with P. reduncus (though they've been much less defensive). The P. cambridgei have been the most visible if you want a bit of a gradient of personal experience.

As far as defensiveness, it varies per individual, but the real touchy ones definitely live up to their reputation of not taking any guff from bipeds. My defensive P. irminia gal is more likely to bolt and hide, but in her web tunnel she means business. My real touchy "lord of all she surveys" Psalmopeus pulcher is more likely to stand her ground, spread her chelicera and give you a warning by comparison instead of bolting as consistently. Basically, they're variable. About all I'd expect is to see the P. irminia less when the lights are on.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
P.pulcher can be skittish and a bit defensive. Mine seemed to change with each moult. I think you'll see more of P.pulcher than of P.irminia.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As with many species, it seems to change from one to another. I had a P.irminia that was actually an easy tarantula in its juvenile phase, but after its adult molt, she became more skittish and jumpy, and only slightly defensive. Her ability to warp was an amazement to me, it’s like she broke the law of physics at times.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My pulcher female isn't that defensive, but she is far more skittish than my cambridgei girl. They are both females and both are about the same size. My cambridgei girl is a darling and has even gotten tolerant of me photographing her now that she has got some size on her. My pulcher female is not tolerant of photos at all.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
IME P Pulcher makes me less nervous and I see him alot more. Tuff to beat P Irminia in the looks department though. One of my favorite genuses.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
My P. pulcher is a very chill tarantula, although zealous with food. I feel more comfortable working with it then almost any P. irminia I've heard tell of. It is also visible most of the time.
Comments on the temperament of pulcher.
Comments on the temperament of irminia.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I don't see enough of my P irminia to have any opinion. It loves Cork Tube. If I don't mess around with Cork Tube we don't have no problems.

I love Psalmos tho and hope to collect them all in the future when I have more room for enclosures featuring attractive logs.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I don't see enough of my P irminia to have any opinion. It loves Cork Tube. If I don't mess around with Cork Tube we don't have no problems.

I love Psalmos tho and hope to collect them all in the future when I have more room for enclosures featuring attractive logs.
Gotta get em' all with Psalmos, eh? It seems Psalmos and Pokies are some of the most popular arboreals, and everybody wants to have every species of each...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

rdmartinez

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the input. Decided to pick-up the P. irminia because of the looks and disregard their defensiveness. Had to chose only one because wifey limited me to ten tarantulas only.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I only have a P. irminia, but mine is broken. I see it most of the time, unless in premolt. She is not jumpy or defensive at all. So it is a bit like with most species: it also depends on the character of the specimen and not only the temperament of the species as a whole.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Thought I'd give my thoughts on all my Psalmopoeus, not just the two the op asked in case it might be helpful to someone.
Psalmopoeus cambridgei: Only had her about a month, she seems middle of the road - more shy than some, less than others. not really defensive (she's only 2 inches though).
Psalmopoeus irminia: my adult female is one of my biggest pet holes - months go by without seeing her. I recently bought 2 slings in hopes of getting a less shy one - so far they're both more visible, but disappear at the slightest disturbance. My female is also much less defensive than most I have read about - I once opened the top of her dirt curtain with a paint brush (hadn't seen her in 6 months and I wanted to be sure she was still alive) she moved but made no defensive moves at all.
Psalmopoeus langenbucheri: I've only had her a couple of months - seems pretty shy, but less so than my irminia female.
Psalmopoeus pulcher: I have 2 m and 2 f - not shy at all, have to really do something like accidentally bump the enclosure to get them to retreat. Mostly not defensive either - I say mostly as I recently rehoused all 4 - 3 just moved/bolted around, one male did threat display then strike at the paint brush I was using to move him toward the catch cup.
Psalmopoeus victori: Not shy - only my pulcher are less so. Very defensive - while housing them when I first got them 2 of my 3 two inch slings responded to me gently touching a rear leg with paint brush by spinning 180 deg., then threat displaying, then striking at the paint brush bristles - all in about a second. One even grabbed the bristles and held on for a second. The third one turned out to be pre-molt and apparently didn't feel like getting in a fight.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Temperament tends to vary between speicies in a genus, and vary from specimens to specimens. I have had lits of Phormictopus speicies and specimens during the years. The most nasty dpeicies iME are P cancerides and P atrichomatus. The sp green and P auratus not do much, but again, there have been specimens among those that have been more feisty than others.
Same with other genus. I have not have had many diffrent Psalmopoeus. I have had both P irminia and P cambridgei, and both where petholes, skittish and defenssive. I cannot remember which one was most defenssive though?