tempature controll

worm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just was at the pet store the other day and saw this cool humidity pump for your reptile or whatever it is that you have, and i had to have it. My cyriopagapus,sp.blue is kinda hard to maintian the temp in his cage.
right now i have him in a little cricket container wich is placed inside of my old P.murinus 10 gal tank...yeah kinda big right now but im hopping mine will grow into it hes only about 1.5" now. I live in maryland so the weather is constantly changing but so far with this pump im keeping 60% or higher if i mist in the cage and the temp seems to be around 75-80 what do you all think am i making too much work for myself or am i good:?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i just was at the pet store the other day and saw this cool humidity pump for your reptile or whatever it is that you have, and i had to have it. My cyriopagapus,sp.blue is kinda hard to maintian the temp in his cage.
right now i have him in a little cricket container wich is placed inside of my old P.murinus 10 gal tank...yeah kinda big right now but im hopping mine will grow into it hes only about 1.5" now. I live in maryland so the weather is constantly changing but so far with this pump im keeping 60% or higher if i mist in the cage and the temp seems to be around 75-80 what do you all think am i making too much work for myself or am i good:?
I think how you have it is perfectly fine, your temps are in the right range and humnidity is fine. But to me, humidity is overrated with the exception of T.blondi and maybe some other species. Just mist it every now(especially for slings, they drink the water droplets of the walls, dirt, and their web) and then and when it's big enough give it a waterdish. Internal hydration is way more important then humidity.

Last edited:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I live in maryland so the weather is constantly changing but so far with this pump im keeping 60% or higher if i mist in the cage and the temp seems to be around 75-80 what do you all think am i making too much work for myself or am i good:?
Misting is a poor way to raise humidity as it evaporates really quick. The best thing for you to do is actually pour water on the substrate which will soak up the water thus raising humidity. Just dont make it too wet

worm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah see i herd on here somerwhere that these guys like to drink off the wall more than a dish when there small. See i have this pete moss or something similar that maybe called eco earth you just add water and it makes a ton of dirt or like potting soil. It keeps damp preatty good if i mist it down every now and then but i never see him out so i dont know what hes up too. I keep a small lid like off of a apple juice container stuffed with a cottenswap thats keept damp incase he wants to suck on it for water but agin i never see him come out of that hole unless a cricket walks by..lol

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You better remove that cotton. There is really no need to water a 1.5 inch spider if the substrate is moist. I keep several Cyrio sp "Blue" and I raise them in pint jars until they out grow them then move to 1 gallon jars. After around 3 inches or so I give them a lid from a 2 liter soda bottle which I fill with water.
By raising your spider in something like this, it will keep the humidity up. You can drill several holes which will provide ventilation. In this pic is a Pokie but I keep Cyriopagopus spp the same way

JaxsWastedLife

Arachnopeon
My $0.02 is that as long as you prevent extreme temperatures in either range, and drastic shifts in a short period of time you are fine. I keep all my T's on the same shelf, the room is around 68-70F. If it's good enough for me it is good enough for them.

As for humidity control, I mist the enclosures when they look particularly parched, this is about 1-2 times a week. Allow the substrate to dry out between misting, and watch the substrate under water dishes for mold.

I keep a shallow water dish filled at all times in all enclosures. I've seen all my T's drinking from them from time to time...

Any time I tried to keep the humidity high I ended up with more mold/mite problems than it was worth. The water dish will keep the T's from becoming dehydrated and will slightly increase the relative humidity in the enclosure.

Provide there basic needs & you are golden.
  • Crickets
  • Water
  • Hide
  • & don't torture them too much :embarrassed:

Arthropods have been around for millions of years, they do not need that much help from us. :cool: