Temparatures

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Summer is here and my T room is starting to get hot.

1. How hot is too hot ?
2. Should I run a fan to circulate the air ?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer

1. How hot is too hot ?
It depends on the species.
Generally speaking, the VAST majority of tarantulas will be fine at a temperature that you're comfortable at

cold blood

Staff member
Over 95....but even then, I would only worry if it was long term and unrelenting. My room has exceeded 95 on a few occasions, but after a day or a few days its usually back down to more normalcy. I've never lost a t during or after a heat wave like that.

I always have a small fan running...I am a big proponent of air circulation.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Over 95....but even then, I would only worry if it was long term and unrelenting. My room has exceeded 95 on a few occasions, but after a day or a few days its usually back down to more normalcy. I've never lost a t during or after a heat wave like that.

I always have a small fan running...I am a big proponent of air circulation.
How in the [self edit] did YOU survive 95F in your house?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

1. How hot is too hot ?
I wouldn't be too worried with the species you have. Though even desert/scrubland species remain in their burrow to stay cooler with temps that are 90F, at least the species I've seen in nature. Make sure they have water

cold blood

Staff member
How in the [self edit] did YOU survive 95F in your house?
I was up north in a heat wave...I left in a serious downpour, so I left with all the windows up.....it was like an oven when I got home.

Otherwise on those rare times where it gets hot, I just go into the basement.

SpiderBot Mike

Arachnopeon
To piggy back off this thread, how cold is too cold?

I understand that temp affects appetite and therefore growth, but do Ts react negatively to being kept at 66-68F consistently?

(I keep my new spiderlings in the basement and I dont mind if they grow slowly.)

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
If your comfortable they’ll be fine. Just going to take a lot longer to grow below 70 and I wouldn’t let them get lower than 55 for too long. Even then they’ll likely be ok

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel

I understand that temp affects appetite and therefore growth, but do Ts react negatively to being kept at 66-68F consistently?

(I keep my new spiderlings in the basement and I dont mind if they grow slowly.)
Invertebrates do not generate their own heat, they rely on their environment to supply the warmth needed for metabolic functions.

Ambient Temperature controls metabolism, the bodies ability to take food and convert it into tissue, energy, growth...etc. Raise the average temperature and metabolism increases, the spider's ability to grow increases. Lower the average temperature and metabolism decreases, growth decreases.

cold blood

Staff member

Depends on the species...the more tropical species wouldn't do well at those temps constantly.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Depends on the species...the more tropical species wouldn't do well at those temps constantly.
Yeah, with a few exceptions, M.mesomelas being a good example. Large Theraphosa do quite well in the high sixties too. Its reallly mostly the asian and african tarantulas that would do best warmer.

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, with a few exceptions, M.mesomelas being a good example. Large Theraphosa do quite well in the high sixties too. Its reallly mostly the asian and african tarantulas that would do best warmer.
And Avics, tappies and Psalmos
:drunk:

SpiderBot Mike

Arachnopeon
I really appreciate everyone’s input here.

Is there any documentation or first hand experience that mid to high 60s are bad for African/Asian Ts?

One of the Pokies (forgot which species) lives in the high hills of India where its in the 60s often.

As I previously posted, I understand growth and appetite will be mildly effected but is there any real consequence to the Ts’ health?

“If you’re comfortable, their comfortable”. Im comfortable in my basement sitting at my computer in my shorts, tho it could be considered a tad cool by some. Everyone seems to keep their Ts at 72F+. Is 5-6 degrees F really that big of a deal for an organism that probably doesnt “feel” the temperature, but rather likely adjusts to it?

I want my Ts healthy and that is the most important thing. However, I dont want to rethink my entire setup based on umproven conjecture and assumption if there is no real impact to the Ts health.

Thanks again for everyones input!

Last edited:

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Long term they’ll likely be fine. I kept mine in and outdoor addition to my house in New Orleans. They were fine in the summer at 95+ and were fine during the winter at 60 or less. I think most Ts will survive at the temps your talking about long term but you’d be much better served creating a space you could artificially heat up a bit. Right now I keep my slings and juvies in a bathroom corner with an oil immersion heater to maintain around 82ish. It’s not that difficult or expensive.

SpiderBot Mike

Arachnopeon
And thats its. Perhaps I really need to consider creating a heated area for them.

Warming slings is fairly easy as you say, but I have a specific list of 20 species that I want and eventually having to heat all of them as adults will require a bit more research and consideration on my end.

I’ll do it if the Ts need it, but I question if 5-10F is really an issue. Im in Detroit, but my basement never goes below 65F and never exceeds 68F. Its very consistent across the year so I initially thought it would be fine, but reading the posts Im second guessing this.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
At those temps the vast majority will do ok especially as adults. There are a few species I’m sure wouldn’t be too content. I personally would keep the slings and smaller juveniles 10 degrees or so warmer. But I’m also impatient

SpiderBot Mike

Arachnopeon
These animals live a while. If mine stay small for an additional year or two because of the temperature, Im okay with that. If their adult size is stunted an inch or so, Im also fine with that.

I just dont want them to die 5 years prematurely because Im too lazy to make them comfortable.

LOL