Tell me why you like to own creepy crawlies?

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hey there i am still working on my project and i wanted to know if i could ask you guys why you like having "creepy crawlies" and Ts for pets? and if you don't mind i will quote you.

dirk14

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
theyre interesting , beautiful in theyre own little way... and vey low maintenance...

darkness_falls8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I just think everything they do is very interesting, from eating, molting and building their homes with silk. I don't really think of them as tarantulas, they're more alien-like to me than anything.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
When I see a T I don't think of it as a creepy-crawly, more of a cute little fuzzy thing with a face like " :B "
Who can't love that face? :D

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I just think everything they do is very interesting, from eating, molting and building their homes with silk. I don't really think of them as tarantulas, they're more alien-like to me than anything.
I agree, totally. I find everything about them fascinating. They are so different from us. They are graceful, fast, and in some cases, stunningly beautiful in an almost alien way.
I become fascinated just watching one walk across its viv.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like Tarantulas because they are the only ones who skeletons are on the outside. and their colors go from dull to extremely bright and beautiful

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just find everything about them fascinating, and many of them are quite beautiful to boot.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I see a tarantula as a misunderstood creature. many people think that they're dangerous, and scary, but in reality, they are actually just fuzzy, six inch wonders. I own a a Tarantula to help the world take a walk on the wild side.

PS: Saddlepatch, ur right. that face is adorable. :B

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:B :B :B Saddlepatch u crack me up. Think I'll use that friggin thing for a signature lol. We'll be in trouble ifn it ever looks like... :p lol I like 'um cause they don't yap and whine when it's time to eat. They don't stink. They don't crap all over your yard. It's fun to create realistic looking desert/jungle scenes in small tanks for them to live in while makin lil ol ladies at the hobby shops wonder why THAT creepy lookin dude was shopping in the dollhouse china section, (if they only knew) lol. They don't need yearly vaccines, or monthly wormer and one doesn't have to register them with the city. It gives me a sense of peace at night when I come home, and watch them enthusiastically going about their business, whatever that may be. Yes, they are beautiful, alien like, not really "spiders" to me either. Plus, it keeps my daughter happy when they amubush crickets, she always asks...Why are you laughing so much these days? I thought you won the lottery or something!

Last edited:

Pink_tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
o agree with the saying " it dasn't matter whats o hte outside it is whats inside that counts" and they are cute and fuzzy and soft

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i just like the idea of keeping a pet that isn't your "typical" or "mainstream" creature. People always ask me a lot of questions when i tell them i keep tarantulas and i enjoy explaining things like molting and eating habbits, webbing and even all the different colours they come in. When was the last time anyone asked a dog owner questions beyond "what breed is it?"

I also find them very relaxing to watch (when they decide to do something)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i get too attached to higher animals so bugs are a good choice for me. i am still sad when they die, but not devestated

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
:D When I first started out, I was a frustrated reptile collector. As a kid and later
a young man, I caught water snakes, rattlers, copperheads, racers etc and
yes a few T's and scorps. Over the years I kept, green snakes, ringnecks,
garters, various pythons and boas, but I never had the bread or enough
space to set a dozen or more snakes up in nice cases in a special area.
:)

At a reptile show I saw some nice tarantulas in well built enclosures and
decided to "Take the plunge". After spending a lot of time on the Phong's
T web site and reviewing Botar's list, I ordered 4 different T's in small juvy
sizes and set them up in jars. U Gotta Luv 'em Fascinating Fuzzy Creatures
that don't need a whole lot of space and do well eating only crickets.
I had as many as 15 but now only a dozen remain, but it's not over yet.

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are actually scouts sent here by an alien race intent of harvesting all usable matter from the planet, and have tricked us into believing they are simple, inconspicuous arthropods, until they day they rise up with their yet-to-arrive bretheren and enslave the human race.
By giving them a life of luxury and safety, I plan on being one of the few to escape a horrible death.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Keeping T's is interesting and inexpensive.....The highlight of my day is coming home to see who is out and about, feeding them, and watching them manipulate their environment. They are like little construction workers; my A. Genic made herself a little underground tunnel in one day.

Oh yeah, and did I mention that many of them are stunning?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree with others have said, very interesting and inexpensive. Plus, the variety is outstanding! Never gets old. I just love the exotic pets over regualr domestic pets.

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep Ts because they are just so beautiful...beautiful and graceful in their movements, and when they molt, it is the most interesting thing to watch- like a butterfly coming out of it's cacoon...amazing to say the least. Not many other animals/insects can regenerate lost limbs, either...that in itself is something spactacular. Combine all this beauty, grace, and 'science at its best' with easy care/maintenance....and you have one heck of a pet. A pet that most guests will be fascinated by, too. I love my Ts. :p

sammyp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They are actually scouts sent here by an alien race intent of harvesting all usable matter from the planet, and have tricked us into believing they are simple, inconspicuous arthropods, until they day they rise up with their yet-to-arrive bretheren and enslave the human race.
By giving them a life of luxury and safety, I plan on being one of the few to escape a horrible death.
{D Or perhaps by interfereing with their agenda by keeping certain key arachnid operatives prisoner you'll have made them really angry.....:eek:

So, I just find 'bugs' fascinating and the low maintanence bit is a big plus for me. They're just so wicked, and demand.... nothing really. most of the extravagances are designed by their owners. their basic needs are really simple.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
The only way for me to actually get to see those animals is by owning them. Watching a documentary often provides only a glimpse or possibly even a slightly scewed picture.

I've always liked spiders and I don't understand the bad feeling very many people have about them. It's hard for us humans to identify with an animal with eight legs, with hardly a brain, and eight eyes that can hardly see, and that alone makes people fear them I guess, that they don't understand them. The biggest fear seems to be about being bitten. That combined with the lack of knowlage about the actual results of a bite just makes for a lot of misunderstandings.

In contrast many people like hamsters. Hamsters are "cute" little furrballs with 4 limbs (like us), eyes and ears like us, but what most don't know is that hamsters can just be as vicious and deadly as that monster bunny from Monty Python and the holy grail!

People hear about one single T bite and are up in arms about them, kids arround the world get mutilated and gnawed in half by their hamsters every day and nobody cares. Before I degress...

I look at T's just like I do at any other animals. Sure they are different, but I treat all animals with equally much respect. The amazing thing is that almost all animals, however primitive, know from birth or early on exactly what to do in order to survive. The fact that T's couldn't have a more different life and body than we humans have doesn't scare me, it fascinates me indeed a great deal!