Tell me terrestrial or arboreal...

hermzxd45

Arachnopeon
c. darlingi--
h. maculata--
obt--

got these coming soon want to know what kind of enclosures should i prep for...thanx...herm

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
c. darlingi--
h. maculata--
obt--

got these coming soon want to know what kind of enclosures should i prep for...thanx...herm
C. darlingi will burrow... So I say pet hole.. But it will come out & you will see it.. I see all of mine..

H. maculata... Never had one.. So I wont comment on it..

P. murinus... It will burrow.. It will build a semi-burrow... It wil even build a nice tube web up above the ground and act arboreal... They are know to adapt to any kind of setup..

I have one P. murinus set up terrestrial.. I wanted to experiment with another one in an arboreal setup... It built its webbing at the top of the enclosure.. Has not messed with any of the substrate...

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
H.maculata I would say is a burrowing arboreal. Give it enough vertical space to web and crawl around, (and give it stuff to hide in and web together) and enough substrate depth to burrow. Mine is either underground in her burrow, or towards the top of the tank. I've never seen her walking around on the substrate surface ever.

P.murinus--I've heard terrestrial, heavy webber, but mine is as much a pet hole as any Haplo. (So is my L.parahybana though, maybe they just really like the substrate I use?)

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
H.maculata I would say is a burrowing arboreal. Give it enough vertical space to web and crawl around, (and give it stuff to hide in and web together) and enough substrate depth to burrow. Mine is either underground in her burrow, or towards the top of the tank. I've never seen her walking around on the substrate surface ever.

+1 on that. The only time I've EVER seen my H mac out of its burrow it was hanging from the roof of the enclosure and didn't stay long when it heard me bumbling around.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
+1 on that. The only time I've EVER seen my H mac out of its burrow it was hanging from the roof of the enclosure and didn't stay long when it heard me bumbling around.
Heh.
Mine doesn't take any guff from me. I scared her bad once, and now she always lets me know who's boss (it isn't me!).

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I prefer keeping OBTs as burrowers. I tried one in an arboreal set up and it was more defensive and more flighty (we had a few exciting escape attempts during maintenance) but the exact same t calmed down quite a bit once I moved it into a burrowing enclosure.

My H. macs seem to combine their vertical hides and burrowing into a sort of "dirt castle", building up substrate around the edges of the hide.

pok2010

Arachnopeon
iv got 8 OBT's.... 2 adults 1.1.0, 1 sub adult 1.0.0, 2 recent molted Juvi 0.0.2 and 3 grown on slings 0.0.3

the 2 males, 1 is set up as burrowing, 1 is set up as terestrial, the female, she is set up as a choice lol she has deep substrate to burrow, and bark to act aborial, she chooses to be aborial

so in my experience, an OBT is what you want it to be, it can be a burrowing spider, a terestrial, or an aborial, and they are fine with what ever you give them ;P they are the ultimate spider, who give you the choice of what you want {D

H.mac, semmi-aborial, never see it though again as said either in its burrow, or in the web tube on her bark

C.darlingi, burrowing spider, will show her pritty face, but again like redneck said, pet hole ;P

GForce14063

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine burrowed when they were slings now that I tranfered them at 3" they seem somewhat arborial now. I have 13 of these that I raised from 1/4 slings.