Tegu-sitting, would like some tegu advice!

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Hello! My friend and her partner have gone to Germany to visit his family for the holidays, so I volunteered to tegu-sit for her baby tegu for the rest of the month. I need some help, because it hasn't eaten since they dropped it off Sunday and I'm not sure what to expect, honestly. I'm starting to feel pretty guilty and clueless!

This tegu hatched earlier this year and has been growing pretty fast, as expected. I read up on husbandry and watched lots of videos in preparation for watching her.

My friend insisted on bringing her up to my apartment because I live about 60 miles north of her home, so they hauled the enclosure and tegu and everything up here. They have brought her up from time to time for socializing during sporting events and stuff that we watch at my place anyway, but this a big environmental change for her.

I'll post pics of the enclosure (I didn't set it up but it seems fine based on the information I found). Hot zone temp is around 100 degrees f, no idea on the cool zone. I was given instructions on care, her routine, a bin of feeders, a humidifier, a spray bottle, tegu moisturizer (sensual), reptile vitamin, and bunch of assorted favorite treats she likes, but she won't eat anything!

I bought a bin for her to go Thunderdome in, and she just keeps rubbing her snout against the side and won't eat any of the crickets, which apparently she has been going ham on until Sunday night. She just gives me dirty looks and hides in her hidey hole.

I've even offered her favorite treats, which is apparently sashimi, and she side-eyed it, licked it, side-eyed me, and went back into her hide.

Is this normal fussy behavior? Do I just wait this out?

Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

Poonjab

Arachnoking
100% fussy behavior. Reptiles are smart. Hold tight and give it its necessities and it should come around.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
100% fussy behavior. Reptiles are smart. Hold tight and give it its necessities and it should come around.
Thank you! I appreciate it. I hadn't found details on things like behaviors after an interruption in routine and stuff. That helps a lot.

She's still not eating. I may slip by the store and buy some chicken hearts or something and see if she'll be into those when I get home. We did get some good cuddle time in yesterday, though. Hopefully in the next day or two, she'll come around :)

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
Try covering one side of the enclosure with a dark towel. It may offer a little more security and allow it to settle in. They are very interested in what goes on outside the glass and the new surroundings may be the culprit.

You can also offer a boiled egg with the shell cracked. It’s stimulating and all my tegus loved eggs

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Try covering one side of the enclosure with a dark towel. It may offer a little more security and allow it to settle in. They are very interested in what goes on outside the glass and the new surroundings may be the culprit.

You can also offer a boiled egg with the shell cracked. It’s stimulating and all my tegus loved eggs
Thank you! I actually covered 3/4 of it with a towel starting yesterday for a similar reason. I’m glad my instincts were on point!

I’ll try the egg thing and see if she’s interested.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
As an update:

She went back home with her family yesterday. During the time with me, she seemed fussy about the move and then shed about a week and a half in, so that might have had some impact on her desire to eat, as well. At the advice of a friend who had been a reptile vendor in the past, I gave her a mix of chopped romaine, mango, and papaya. She had a little of that and then took a huge poop in her water bowl. I thought that was just a tarantula thing XD

Anyway, she ate quite well after the poop and shed and was more active. I sent her home with the mango and papaya.

I give myself a solid C rating as a tegu babysitter XD

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
I'd give you an A. I imagine Tegus are challenging even for experienced lizard people.
I think pooping in the water dish is something most lizards do. I didn't know it was a tarantula thing, I thought I just had a special one :)

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I'd give you an A. I imagine Tegus are challenging even for experienced lizard people.
I think pooping in the water dish is something most lizards do. I didn't know it was a tarantula thing, I thought I just had a special one :)
Weird. I don’t have T’s that poop in their dish. But my avics. Love to leave their bolus in them.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Weird. I don’t have T’s that poop in their dish. But my avics. Love to leave their bolus in them.
Hey, whatever makes is easier to get in and out of there with little disturbance :)
My (one) T has messed the water dish twice, which I prefer. The boluses he leaves at the bottom of the burrow and I can't get them out until he decides to drag them to the surface. Quirky little dude he is!