Teenager tarantula

Arachnethegreek

Arachnopeon
Wow, I feel like the parent of a teenager. My B. Apilobosum has dug a burrow straight down and excavated the bottom of her pill bottle (she's only .5") and then somehow dug a cavern up again to hide in, yesterday I fed her, food dropped all the way down the hole, and this morning I get a half munched cricket tossed up at the top of the burrow like "I don't like it, throw it out and gimme something else, like because I said so!" rotten picky antisocial little @&$*!

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
{D{D

This made me laugh, thank you. I needed that. :) Anyway. Ts don't always eat all of what they're given and often leave food remains or bolus. They're also neat freaks, so i'm not suprised he pushed it up to the burrow. I remember one time catching my P. regalis literally tossing a food bolus straight into his waterdish.....brat.

Lumberguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Don't worry, if your B. albo is anything like my old one was, soon as it hits around the inch mark, you won't be able to feed it enough. These guys are RAVENOUS little devils, and think that anything that touches their substrate is food (had a few scares with mine actually grappling the 12" tongs when it was about 2"+)

Also, once it grows a bit it'll prolly forget about the burrow - mine was out all the time, although I really didn't give it enough to burrow in after a few months :eek:

Suzjohnson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Don't worry, if your B. albo is anything like my old one was, soon as it hits around the inch mark, you won't be able to feed it enough. These guys are RAVENOUS little devils, and think that anything that touches their substrate is food (had a few scares with mine actually grappling the 12" tongs when it was about 2"+)

Also, once it grows a bit it'll prolly forget about the burrow - mine was out all the time, although I really didn't give it enough to burrow in after a few months :eek:
Had a good chuckle over these descriptions as they so remind me of raising my own B. albo from a teensy little thing that arrived in a straw. She is now approaching 4 inches and continues to be the world's best cave digger. It's such a hoot to watch her drag up these huge balls of substrate as her placement of these seems very deliberate. I unearth her water dish weekly and it's been ages since I've seen her bark hide and the pretty silk leaves that used to ornament her enclosure. She attacks the forceps holding her cricket with great vigor but is sweet as can be when I need to dig her up. She is one of my faves!

ajhere

Arachnopeon
they are not slow growers frm my experince mine gre pretty fast and was very nice to me but crickets always got chump really quick and hard hits you cn actual here the attack and i thnk once i heard a cricket scream for help but it was too late{D

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

I know ! My girl (4.25") will eat 6 crickets if I offered them to her . Now she is in pre molt now , but man does she got a full booty !