Ted's personal inverts collection.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have thousands of specimens that I have raised and collected ..so will post a bit at a time.

I will start out with a few pics of the Atlas Moths I raised..it was quite cool watching them fly around my house.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you will notice that the edge of the forwing looks like a viper head..this is to scare away predators.

very cool!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i'm not a moth person.......but those things are huge!! you can get up on them and take off. very impressive.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have alot of resizing to do..shall post more pics asap.!

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i heard there was a giant moth in Borneo....???? i was watching a nature show about how elusive they are that wouldn't be it would it??

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i heard there was a giant moth in Borneo....???? i was watching a nature show about how elusive they are that wouldn't be it would it??
I am willing to bet that it was..at least it could have been.
they certainly are elusive throughout their range..and like many Saturnids, are hard to get in areas where they are fairly common.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am willing to bet that it was..at least it could have been.
they certainly are elusive throughout their range..and like many Saturnids, are hard to get in areas where they are fairly common.
umm i belive they said this particular moth posses a 12" Proboscis???? i dont know much moth anatomy lol but thats big....

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you might be talking about this:
http://encarta.msn.com/media_461530192_761578331_1_1/Darwin's_Hawk_Moth.html

its pretty neat, Darwin noticed that there were flowers that were a foot long, so he hypothesized that there must be a moth with a 12 inch proboscis because nothing else would be able to feed from and pollinate the flower. Most scientists at the time called him crazy, but lo and behold, look what exists.

edit: sorry that was so off topic, I didn't mean to try and steal your thunder ted. Your moths are absolutely incredible!. Where are they native to?

Dorcus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Beautiful Attacus atlas. Where did you obtain the cocoons? I had to catch my specimens... The species seems to be quite widespread though. Ranging from Taiwan to Indonesia and Malaysia. I did not catch enough to do a comparative study on sizes though. Oh well...

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you might be talking about this:
http://encarta.msn.com/media_461530192_761578331_1_1/Darwin's_Hawk_Moth.html

its pretty neat, Darwin noticed that there were flowers that were a foot long, so he hypothesized that there must be a moth with a 12 inch proboscis because nothing else would be able to feed from and pollinate the flower. Most scientists at the time called him crazy, but lo and behold, look what exists.

edit: sorry that was so off topic, I didn't mean to try and steal your thunder ted. Your moths are absolutely incredible!. Where are they native to?
that would be it!! thanks

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Stunning! I've always favored moths over butterflies, and those beauties are just one reason why. Lovely, thank you for sharing.

Dorcus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Biggest or Longest? If longest, it'd definitely be a Phasmidae of some sort.