TEACH ME BE SMART LIKE YOU (handling)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
you can get hairs on you just from handling, not even having them kick at you

i pretty much don't handle male B. smithi anymore because even the trace amounts i get from a totally calm handling make me itch VERY badly

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm beginning to think my little G.aureostriata is never going to be handleable. She's never snapped at me or anything when I clean her water dish or move stuff around in her cage, but when I lightly touch her abdomen to move her forward, after two or three touches she slowly turns around and gives a threat display in the direction of what was touching her. :(

Last edited:

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've had Rosehairs, B. smithi's, and other Brachies for yrs. Just opening their tank and putting crickets in there can make my arms itch. Its because I've been exposed to the urticationg hairs for so many yrs. I'm one of those folks that like handling a tarantula, but those that make me itch, or react by avoiding me and not wanting to be picked up, I let them alone. Don't ever handle the pokies either. Most of the time, I hold them because they crawl out of their homes onto my hand when they are babies or juveniles. My T's, once they get bigger or mature, I don't handle them, and stop them from coming out onto my hand. I always do this at the kitchen table too. I have this great fear they will jump or fall onto the floor and die. In the past I've picked some of them up in a pinch hold and have taken pictures. Lots of T's won't tolerate this though. Out of care for them, I mostly leave them alone, just feed, and give them water, and do tank maintainence. We have a full grown A. geniculata that is impressive. I held her and picked her up in a pinch hold when she was a juvenile. She's been full grown for a while now, and we don't want anything to happen to her. She's beautifull, and will kick hairs a lot. You are going to itch for a while if you try to hold her. She will put up a fight, and wants to be left alone. Gotta respect that if you really do care for your bugs a lot like we do.

Sharon

Sharon

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Of my 5 T's i only handle the Rosea

My first T i picked up almost a year ago is a 5" B. smithi. (What a steal too, a healthy mature female smithi for $40, that's good right?) She is totally oblivious to my actions inside that tank, moving the tank, whatever until i get within about 2" of her rump. Then she turns into the freakin' Pele of hair kickers. She looks like a honeybee telling all it's buddies where the good flowers are with all thet booty-shakin'.

I've read here in about 30 different posts that the urticating effect is cumulative so for that reason i'm going to using gloves and tight cuffed longsleeve shirts for tank maintenance, etc. That way maybe i'll slow the progress from the start.

However, when it comes to handling Gammy (my G. rosea) it's itches be damned! She seems to really enjoy coming out and having a stroll up and down my arm then doing a lap or two around the coffee table. Who am i to deny her that? Besides, it's only once a week or so. I don't think that's harmful as long as i'm very careful about drops, startling her etc.

Last edited:

BooyaTarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
See all you guys and you're big fancy T's... I need to expand my collection, and none of my five T's are even close to full grown yet... But buying them like that is costly isn't it? I have also read that the hairs will cause worse and worse reactions over time, and enough people will testify that i am very inclined to beleive it! makes sense anyways.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
just be sure to buy slings and have patience to raise them for a few years to attain a good size. Lasiodora parahybana's can hit 6" within a year and a half without much "effort", GBB's can hit full grown size (5.5" or so) in the same amount of time...as well as other fast growing species. Slower growing species such as Brachy's, Aphonopelmas, Homeommas, etc. will take longer. My Homeomma species "blue" has been in my care for the last 1.5...iirc, it has only molted once to it's current size of just over 2". It has been over 9 months since it's last molt...my GBB and L.p. would have molted at least twice each in that time span when they were that size. Just a comparison for you :)

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's a straight answer. *If* you want to handle a particular T, and you accept the possible risks to both you and the T, then there are several methods for handling. It sounds like you want to get a feel for what it is like to have one of these amazing creatures in your hand. I do think that it is a good idea to practice the "cupping" method (cupping your hand over the top of the tarantula while holding down its chelicerae with your forefinger), in case anyone has to catch a T quickly before it bolts, but that takes some practice. I would not try it on a T you never held before. What I think you were getting at is to just let the spider roam onto your hand. With a gently nudge from behind onto an open hand, you may get a more docile specimen to walk into your palm. If you see any defensive behavior, do heed its warning. If it strolls on willingly, it will be worth the experience.
As for the species you mentioned, I'd go for the cyclosternum, personally.

BooyaTarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the advice, my cyclosternum is actually the one who seems most eager to go for a cruise. She was exploring all around when i was cleaning her habitat and i have never seen any aggressive/defensive behaviour from her. Plus the species is gorgeous to look at, which would make them more fun to see up close