Tarantulas

Becky weed

Arachnopeon
I have a 5 month old Mexican fireleg. It constantly rears at me, only tried to clean it's tank out, I Know these types often flick hairs, but not usually known to be aggressive!

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
its not aggression its a defensive reaction called a threat pose :lol:like "watch out you need to back off"

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I have a 5 month old Mexican fireleg. It constantly rears at me, only tried to clean it's tank out, I Know these types often flick hairs, but not usually known to be aggressive!
Maybe if you're comfortable sharing a photo of its enclosure, we can take a look and see if we can make any recommendations that might help it feel more secure.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
What are you cleaning out?
If you mess with them enough, most spiders will show you the business.

Becky weed

Arachnopeon
Ia threat pose with legs and pedipalps is a sign of agitation and could strike, is a bit aggressive!! Considering these types are not known to be

What are you cleaning out?
If you mess with them enough, most spiders will show you the business.
Just generally cleaning it's tank and calmly trying to move it out the way

Maybe if you're comfortable sharing a photo of its enclosure, we can take a look and see if we can make any recommendations that might help it feel more secure.
Yes that would be fine.
Nice to hear back from someone who seems to be more helpful instead of criticism!

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Ia threat pose with legs and pedipalps is a sign of agitation and could strike, is a bit aggressive!! Considering these types are not known to be
I think of "aggressive" as in, the spider is comin' AT you, which is incredibly rare. If they are standing their ground in a threat pose, that's a defensive behavior. Most often, these spiders will run away and hide and/or kick hairs. A threat pose is usually the very last line of defense before they strike, which is why I am curious what the enclosure looks like. If the spider can be made to feel more secure in it, it should threat pose less.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
As has already been suggested, often making changes in their enclosure can prevent conflicts with them.
However, you have to understand that these animals always have, and always will, treat us as a threat. When they have their roof basically torn off and some giant starts poking around inside and trying to push them around, you have to expect a certain amount of defensive behaviour from them. Some individuals more than others. If they cannot flee, they are going to stand and fight.
You can reduce that by ensuring that their enclosures are large enough and they have some sort of hide to retreat to.
If you are concerned, you can always put a cup over them, or over the mouth of their hide/burrow, while you're doing maintenance.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
If you are concerned, you can always put a cup over them, or over the mouth of their hide/burrow, while you're doing maintenance.
All the kicky Ts get cups when I'm doing maintenance. They can hair themselves in the safety of their own little bubble while I pull out their boluses and clean out their water bowls.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
All the kicky Ts get cups when I'm doing maintenance. They can hair themselves in the safety of their own little bubble while I pull out their boluses and clean out their water bowls.
I had to move a plastic plant out of my adult female Grammostola porteri's water dish the other day, so I could give her fresh water, and she gave me such a threat pose that she ended up on her back. Her plants and water dish are everything to her and she wasn't going to let this clumsy giant take them away from her. I felt horrible. I should cup her too.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I rarely have to disturb my Ts when doing maintenance. I remove debris, bollus', etc... with long tweezers and my Ts barely know I am there. If they are sitting in the spot I need to address, I wait. There rarely is
an issue that cannot wait. (like swapping out water dishes) So you should be able to do maintenance without having to move the spider, if you have to, tap lightly on the back legs with a soft paint brush. If it walks away, keep going until they are where you want them. If they turn or rear up they aren't in a mood. Threat posture is what leads to a strike. When you see it, take a time out because this is the moment you are most likely to get bit.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I rarely have to disturb my Ts when doing maintenance. I remove debris, bollus', etc... with long tweezers and my Ts barely know I am there. If they are sitting in the spot I need to address, I wait. There rarely is an issue that cannot wait. (like swapping out water dishes) So you should be able to do maintenance without having to move the spider, if you have to, tap lightly on the back legs with a soft paint brush. If it walks away, keep going until they are where you want them. If they turn or rear up they aren't in a mood. Threat posture is what leads to a strike. When you see it, take a time out because this is the moment you are most likely to get bit.
I have a handful that I would never be able to give them clean water dishes if that were the case. Sometimes, you just have to do maintenance and you can't put it off forever. I remember giving my Brachypelma verdezi girl, another water dish defender, about four crickets because I knew that she would retreat into her burrow with them. I thought that would buy me time to replace her water dish. She shot out of that burrow, with a face full of crickets, and still knocked that water dish right out of my tongs. It happened faster than I could even register.
She is one of those cases where being cupped, or having her hide opening blocked, is probably a good idea for everyone.

Becky weed

Arachnopeon
I think of "aggressive" as in, the spider is comin' AT you, which is incredibly rare. If they are standing their ground in a threat pose, that's a defensive behavior. Most often, these spiders will run away and hide and/or kick hairs. A threat pose is usually the very last line of defense before they strike, which is why I am curious what the enclosure looks like. If the spider can be made to feel more secure in it, it should threat pose less.
Thanks for your reply. Ive added plants and a nice little retreat for it. I'm always still learning about them, so appreciate feedback.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I have a handful that I would never be able to give them clean water dishes if that were the case. Sometimes, you just have to do maintenance and you can't put it off forever. I remember giving my Brachypelma verdezi girl, another water dish defender, about four crickets because I knew that she would retreat into her burrow with them. I thought that would buy me time to replace her water dish. She shot out of that burrow, with a face full of crickets, and still knocked that water dish right out of my tongs. It happened faster than I could even register.
She is one of those cases where being cupped, or having her hide opening blocked, is probably a good idea for everyone.
I have an A geniculate and a C darlingi that have multiple dishes because they either defend them, or web them into their enclosure. Cupping or blocking is needed sometimes, no doubt. I am checking/swapping dishes on around 20 Ts at least once a week

*sends Pamphobeteus and B boehmei to Matt for maintenance*
okay. Do I have to send them back?:)
My Boehmi, for, is a doll

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
okay. Do I have to send them back?:)
My Boehmi, for, is a doll
Yes, I require them back weekly XD

My AF B boehmei was a Craigslist steal at $45 but my GOD is she kicky. She kicks when I lift the lid, when I fill her water, when I feed her, WHEN I WALK BY HER ENCLOSURE. She kicks at the drop of a hat. I'm honestly shocked she has any hair left on her butt.

She has a nice hide she never goes in and lots of plants, but she'd rather sit out in the open, pressed up against the wall of the enclosure, and throw tantrums any time air moves.

To her credit, she is probably the most beautiful and striking tarantula I own, and I wouldn't give her up for the world, but I really wish she would stop being such a drama queen.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
My Boehmi is only an inch and change are it's attitude towards me is "Whatevs' so I got lucky as I was expecting what you have. I don't have any big kickers in my entire collection (knock wood). Mine too likes to stay out, it climbs on top of its hide and plays "King of the Mountain"

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
That's defensive behaviour (I.e. as far as your tarantula is concerned you're a giant predator poking around where you don't belong and it's defending itself), no tarantula is aggressive.

The temperaments listed for species are generalisations, you will get specimens that deviate from the norm and temperaments can change at any time (even from moult to moult), B. boehmei are supposed to be notorious hair-kickers yet mine never has, B. hamorii and B. emilia are supposed to be "docile" yet my girls will throw up threat postures and slap at anything that isn't food.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Normal defensive reaction- ENJOY

Becky weed

Arachnopeon
That's defensive behaviour (I.e. as far as your tarantula is concerned you're a giant predator poking around where you don't belong and it's defending itself), no tarantula is aggressive.

The temperaments listed for species are generalisations, you will get specimens that deviate from the norm and temperaments can change at any time (even from moult to moult), B. boehmei are supposed to be notorious hair-kickers yet mine never has, B. hamorii and B. emilia are supposed to be "docile" yet my girls will throw up threat postures and slap at anything that isn't food.
My other older tarantula, mexican redknee is pretty docile!
I will be more cautious with my fireleg!
Thanks for your feedback.