Tarantulas you knew existed but that you didn't know you needed...

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
To celebrate the return of Arachnoboards safely from the fields of internet battle, first, a homily...

As I was wandering in the wilds of this world, I came across a certain place, and I laid myself down in it...but I could not sleep. Antagonisms and goblins of the deep rose up and taunted me, saying, "Your wallet is thick, and you are still missing 1,221 species from your collection..."
"You call yourself a tarantula collector and you haven't even made it to Arachnoknight on Arachnoboards?! Sacrilege! Shame!"
And then a more studious looking imp arose and trilled (rather shrilly) "1,221 species, bah! That's not even counting all the species yet to be discovered and scientifically described according to international zoological standards!"
And thus frightened by the sudden apparent reality of me not possessing enough tarantulas to be counted as one of the privileged and admired "Enthusiasts", I got myself up and marched off as fast as I could bring myself to go, towards the nearest invertebrate store. But soon after I came to a stop; "I know of many species of many genera," I said to myself, "But I don't know what species I need to get next, at least for this period of time".
So thinking this, I texted my fellow arachnoculuturists, and soon after came the reply burgeoning with colorful, glorious, magnificent photos; Poecilotheria subfusca "Highland "and Poecilotheria striata, coyly mocking the enthusiast with their appearances; Pterinochilus lapalala, zealously guarding its molts within castles overflowing with webbing; to think that an Aphonopelma burica may somewhere now be glistening in blue far from me; and even now I harken back to the deal I passed up on a beautiful Megaphobema robustum...

Anyway, you already know about Typhochlaena seladonia, you know about Birupes simoroxigorum, and you know about Xenesthis immanis...

But what about those other species that you know are out there, but don't hear about? And then when you see one in person or via photo you suddenly realize you have to have one? Like (@sloth) Pterinochilus lapalala? Or Poecilotheria tigrinawesseli, so often overlooked for its kin P. regalis and mettallica? Or maybe even some of the members of the genera Harpactira not called by the name pulchripes? Or Idiothele mira? Megaphobema robustum? Anyway, you get the point. Share those rare(er) species that we have heard about in name but not seen in person. Consider a photo of the species you are mentioning your ticket into this thread ;).

I shall start with my hardening-up-as-we-speak Psalmopeus pulcher. Much rarer in collections as compared to its brethren P. cambridgei and P. irminia, but far calmer than both of them (@ThatNatureLady).

IMG_0399.jpg

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Last edited:

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Yeah I have a P. Pulcher. It is a male so I will have to get another. For me it's all the uncommon Phormictopus. The greens, blues, purples. I have green femurs, auratus, and Dominican violet. There is a new Psalmopoeus that is all black. Not sure when or if it will become readily available. Non Immanis Xenesthis are on my wishlist.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I like all the rarer Pamphobeteus species. I’ll have to get a clear picture of the P. species Flammifera I have to show off its colours!

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Harpactira gigas
Psalmopoeus victorii
Phormingochilus sp. sabah blue
Every uncommon Harpactira and Phormictopus
Thrixopelma lagunas

I need a at least a few of each, but I know it will not happen for a while.

Moebius

Arachnopeon
-Schizopelma sp. "Colima". Really haven't seen much on them, though I have seen pictures. Not really a "need", I couldn't care less if they ever have an appreciable presence in the hobby or not, but they've stuck in my mind for the whole "oooh and aww" factor. Some folks have had them, but they seem exceedingly rare. If more information was presented and some successful captive breeding I wouldn't pass on them though (beyond huge price tags).

-Psalmopoeus sp. "Alquitran". Some folks have them and are working on breeding them. They remind me of a NW equivalent of some of those black Asian beauties, or, you know, a fuzzy extra black P. irminia. They've caught my attention more than the Psalmopoeus victori in all honesty, but I tend to be interested in the genus as a whole. Same dealy though, we'll see what their price tags stabilize at after a while.

-Pterinochilus lapalala. I have an opportunity to snag some but... once again, project priorities makes it unlikely and bumping them down the list. There's usually some folks raving about them or seeming in envy of those that have them when it comes to the genus. Honestly, I could likely settle for a Ceratogyrus meridionalis or a P. murinus DCF, but they still stick around, occasionally whispering "pick meeeee..." on dealer lists.

-Ceratogyrus brachycephalus (the real one, not those hobby forms). Didn't have the money at the time to snag the real deals when they came around and it'll likely gnaw at me. You hear a lot about C. marshalli and C. darlingi, not much about these (and even less about the wild forms) often.

-Haplocosmia himalayana; The buzz dies down and then it reappears now again with this. Very interested in them but another one of those "they were available and very affordable but got de-prioritized". They're on my bucket list, but it often seems like one of those "the people who have them really appreciate them; the people without them often seem to overlook them".

-Ornithoctoninae sp. "Laos"; if they got renamed/described, I wouldn't know (maybe someone does). Though they were pricey, they're a big regret of mine of not snagging when I had the chance, a really big one. Got to see them in person even and still got something else in a fit of blind expo "I've had too little sleep, wha...buh?". Haven't heard much since last seeing them on lists up here, though it looked like there were folks trying to get them paired. Perhaps not quite counting as I have seen them directly (and they were impressive).

-Pamphobeteus sp. Esmeraldas; I have a mature male, and he's a stunner after his recent final molt. Occasionally seen folks mentioning them on their wishlists, but usually they're trumped by other species with more eye-catching females. I don't see much on them, the bit of buzz seemed to die down and they started disappearing from the initial availability on lists. I'd still love to see a mature gal in person or more information on them, but more details and specifics for much of the genus would be nice. Not sure if many Pamph-fiends snagged them honestly or passed them over.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
My tarantula “needs” are not the less-kept species, but species considered to be “beginner” T’s. I wanted to start out a bit higher tier, so I disdained the thought of a Brachy or Grammy. “Newbies who are afraid of faster, more defensive spiders keep those,” I thought. I collected Asian fossorials, arboreals, H. macs, and S. cals. Now, I have more Grammies and Brachies than anything else. I actually think my G. rosea is probably my overall favorite tarantula. I’m thinking I need more.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
At this point, pretty much anything Phormingochilus. Finally got Akcaya, working on finding Sabah Blue at a more affordable price point, pennellhewletti is looking nice as well.

Thanks,
--Matt

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
H. cafreriana pops up every once in a while, and every time I think to myself that I need to get one...

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Yeah I have a P. Pulcher. It is a male so I will have to get another. For me it's all the uncommon Phormictopus. The greens, blues, purples. I have green femurs, auratus, and Dominican violet. There is a new Psalmopoeus that is all black. Not sure when or if it will become readily available. Non Immanis Xenesthis are on my wishlist.
I like all the rarer Pamphobeteus species. I’ll have to get a clear picture of the P. species Flammifera I have to show off its colours!
At this point, pretty much anything Phormingochilus. Finally got Akcaya, working on finding Sabah Blue at a more affordable price point, pennellhewletti is looking nice as well.

Thanks,
--Matt
Pictures?

Harpactira gigas
Psalmopoeus victorii
Phormingochilus sp. sabah blue
Every uncommon Harpactira and Phormictopus
Thrixopelma lagunas

I need a at least a few of each, but I know it will not happen for a while.
-Schizopelma sp. "Colima". Really haven't seen much on them, though I have seen pictures. Not really a "need", I couldn't care less if they ever have an appreciable presence in the hobby or not, but they've stuck in my mind for the whole "oooh and aww" factor. Some folks have had them, but they seem exceedingly rare. If more information was presented and some successful captive breeding I wouldn't pass on them though (beyond huge price tags).

-Psalmopoeus sp. "Alquitran". Some folks have them and are working on breeding them. They remind me of a NW equivalent of some of those black Asian beauties, or, you know, a fuzzy extra black P. irminia. They've caught my attention more than the Psalmopoeus victori in all honesty, but I tend to be interested in the genus as a whole. Same dealy though, we'll see what their price tags stabilize at after a while.

-Pterinochilus lapalala. I have an opportunity to snag some but... once again, project priorities makes it unlikely and bumping them down the list. There's usually some folks raving about them or seeming in envy of those that have them when it comes to the genus. Honestly, I could likely settle for a Ceratogyrus meridionalis or a P. murinus DCF, but they still stick around, occasionally whispering "pick meeeee..." on dealer lists.

-Ceratogyrus brachycephalus (the real one, not those hobby forms). Didn't have the money at the time to snag the real deals when they came around and it'll likely gnaw at me. You hear a lot about C. marshalli and C. darlingi, not much about these (and even less about the wild forms) often.

-Haplocosmia himalayana; The buzz dies down and then it reappears now again with this. Very interested in them but another one of those "they were available and very affordable but got de-prioritized". They're on my bucket list, but it often seems like one of those "the people who have them really appreciate them; the people without them often seem to overlook them".

-Ornithoctoninae sp. "Laos"; if they got renamed/described, I wouldn't know (maybe someone does). Though they were pricey, they're a big regret of mine of not snagging when I had the chance, a really big one. Got to see them in person even and still got something else in a fit of blind expo "I've had too little sleep, wha...buh?". Haven't heard much since last seeing them on lists up here, though it looked like there were folks trying to get them paired. Perhaps not quite counting as I have seen them directly (and they were impressive).

-Pamphobeteus sp. Esmeraldas; I have a mature male, and he's a stunner after his recent final molt. Occasionally seen folks mentioning them on their wishlists, but usually they're trumped by other species with more eye-catching females. I don't see much on them, the bit of buzz seemed to die down and they started disappearing from the initial availability on lists. I'd still love to see a mature gal in person or more information on them, but more details and specifics for much of the genus would be nice. Not sure if many Pamph-fiends snagged them honestly or passed them over.
I wonder if there is a feeling known only to tarantula enthusiasts that comes when you acquire a species you've passed over for too long...

My tarantula “needs” are not the less-kept species, but species considered to be “beginner” T’s. I wanted to start out a bit higher tier, so I disdained the thought of a Brachy or Grammy. “Newbies who are afraid of faster, more defensive spiders keep those,” I thought. I collected Asian fossorials, arboreals, H. macs, and S. cals. Now, I have more Grammies and Brachies than anything else. I actually think my G. rosea is probably my overall favorite tarantula. I’m thinking I need more.
That is quite interesting...I guess there is some sense in getting New Worlds first then, even if it's not for the reason you may originally think...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Psalmopoeus sp. "Alquitran" and Megaphobema peterklaasi are the two that come to mind for me.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
P.pulchers are nice. Mine were alternating between being skittish and being defensive. Decent feeders and decent growers. When I think of this species, this video comes up, it's a vid of one actually flushing crickets out to catch them:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Pictures?

I wonder if there is a feeling known only to tarantula enthusiasts that comes when you acquire a species you've passed over for too long...

That is quite interesting...I guess there is some sense in getting New Worlds first then, even if it's not for the reason you may originally think...

Thanks,

Arthroverts
There is, it is a great feeling, can't explain it but it is truly amazing. I just recently crossed four species off my list at once, so the feeling is still fresh.

Rosie88

Arachnopeon
I'm really loving the Bonnetina sp. atm, just brought a couple B. cyaneifemur slings can't wait for them to grow its's a shame you don't see them around to often. If I had the cash right now though the top of my list would 100% be the Aphonopelma mooreae!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I didn't even know Psednocnemis brachyramosa existed but now I desperately need one! @SonsofArachne, share some pictures once she starts getting those colors!

@Rosie88, nice! Any pictures? Or are they still the stereotypical "brown slings"?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Still waiting for the colors, she's only a little over 2 inches. I'm hoping she'll be less shy when she gets older too.
If it's any consolation, Ive got Coremiocnemis Tropix (genus P.Brachyramosa used to belong to) and it behaves basically the same and is also around 2". However, as it grows, it becomes bolder and bolder with feeding, and now comes completely outside and will tong feed