Tarantulas walking in a line

awiec

Arachnoprince
I commented on the facebook post of this already, but there are several papers out talking about how Brachypelma will stay with the mother for some time and then march off in a single line, where some of the group will disperse at different areas. This allows for the siblings to theoretically not compete with each other since they are not all settling in the same place.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
That's one of the most interesting things I have ever seen in regard to Tarantulas.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Could be faked, in the age of video and computers anything is possible, like landing on the moon.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I commented on the facebook post of this already, but there are several papers out talking about how Brachypelma will stay with the mother for some time and then march off in a single line, where some of the group will disperse at different areas. This allows for the siblings to theoretically not compete with each other since they are not all settling in the same place.
Here is the article that describes the single file movement of Bracypelma vagans spiderling dispersal.

Reichling, Steven B. "Group dispersal in juvenile Brachypelma vagans (Araneae, Theraphosidae)." Journal of Arachnology 28.2 (2000): 248-250.
http://americanarachnology.org/JoA_tocs/JOA_contents_v28n2.html

@draiko
It's amazing someone was in the right place at the right time to get video of this. Is there any information to go along with that video as to where and when it took place? Species maybe?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So I know this is a thread necro; and Well, I couldn't resist, recently this behavior was caught on a youtuber but does not appear to be brachypelma at all.
I have to admit I was dumbfounded over this behavior prior.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
(Un)Fortunately, I don't have Fb and couldn't watch the video.

Anyway, just complementing your comment, the same behavior was already recorded with Grammostola spp., and Pamphobeteus spp.

On a personal note, I think other species from other genera (besides the three we mentioned) can show this behavior too.