Tarantulas substrate using...?

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can you use sand for G. rosea's? I read a few care sheets and they said potting soil or something else, but my mom wants to know.

Shayna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't think anyone would recomend sand for a tarantula, it's probably best not to. Potting soil would be the easiest thing to get.

Shayna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I dont know if it would harm them, but it might be annoying. My G. Rosea just started moving things around and digging in the coconut fibre, it would probably be really hard to dig with sand.

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
anything you get should be free of pesticides as well as other additives. go with organic stuff. it is safer. i use peat moss.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Alright, but would it be useable? Or do any harm?
Sand is also rough, gritty, loose particles, and tarantulas' breathing apparatus are on their stomachs...which will be right on the sand. They don't live on sand in the wild, either. The "desert" is more like extremely dry clays/soils, as I understand it.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sand is also rough, gritty, loose particles, and tarantulas' breathing apparatus are on their stomachs...which will be right on the sand. They don't live on sand in the wild, either. The "desert" is more like extremely dry clays/soils, as I understand it.
I was under the impression G. Rosea lived in desert scrubland that does have sand. Not 100% sand but there was till sand present. I can't remember where I read the article on their natural habitats. I swear it was on here somewhere.

I personally have never used sand but I don't see how a sand peat mixture would be harmful.

Walter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"ECO EARTH" compressed coconut fiber expandable substrate ALL THE WAY!

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use a mix of 50% topsoil 40% peat and 10% sand. It has worked very well for me. The mixture holds a burrow very well and water gets absorbed very quickly and it also evaporates well with out causing mold or any icky stuff. Here is a picture to give an idea of my set ups. (if you do not care for the different layer look than mix it in a bucket than add to tank)

This is my N. coloratovillosus whom dug a burrow all the way arround the kk and it’s holding very well.

Steph