Tarantulas smell while molting

Ungweliante

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello, everyone!

I just thought of posting something that I haven't noticed being discussed here in the forums - every time one of my tarantulas molt, I can smell a very specific sharp smell coming from the terrarium in question. The smell is actually very similar to what was coming from my C. cyaneopubescens's terrarium when it sadly passed away about half a year ago.

Have you noticed this same thing too? That smell being present there while they molt or pass away? I have been thinking that the smell could come from some kinds of bodily fluids they have...anyone have better knowledge? :)

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very interesting. i have been fortunate enough to watch several of my larger T's molt and have never noticed a particular odor or smell. i also have a really sensitive nose and tend to smell more than i want to. However, i will make a point to check it out next time.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old thread I know.
I myself have noticed a distinctive smell given off by my A. chalcodes female who was very old. None of my younger Ts have ever smelled like anything. She died of old age a few months ago. Could this be a way to differentiate an old adult from a much younger one?
It's well documented that humans and other animals give off an odor as they become older. Animals in the wild use their sense of smell to determine a potential mate's age and health in suitability for breeding.
People of the forums, give your spiders a sniff! Safely of course. Don't let your spider get you on the nose!

GG80

Arachnoknight
When my adult rosie molted it was a perfect molt so I kept it to show my friends and instantly noticed a not so pleasant smell coming from it.