Tarantulas sitting outside burrows, hungry?

courtney1027

Arachnosquire
Hi Everyone,
So I keep a number of Australian tarantula slings and juveniles they all have there burrows and hang out in there a lot but lately I have noticed them hanging outside there burrows sometimes completely out in the open even if they had some little crickets a few days ago. It is warming up here so I don’t know if they are more hungry or too hot. If I offer them crickets they take them. Would you assume hunger or still try and get them to go the week without crickets. Probably seems like a stupid question but so many mixed opinions, some say if there out of there burrow there hungry or unhappy. Some say it’s fine. I just want to see what everyone here thinks.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I’m not sure tarantulas are ever human anthropomorphized hungry they can go veryyyy long times without food, they don’t need to be fed everytime they are exhibiting hunting behavior, they don’t get that in nature. At most I feed every week depending on abdomen size plumpness.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I feed based on behavior combined with the size of the abdomen. If the abdomen is the same size as the carapace or larger, then they probably don't need much in terms of feeding. Also, it depends on the size of the spider. Adults can be fed every other week or sometimes even less. Young slings may need to be fed up to 2 times per week depending on species. Remember that they are opportunistic predators, so they will often take prey whenever the chance presents itself, since in the wild it's uncertain when their next meal might be. As a result overfeeding is common in captivity.

courtney1027

Arachnosquire
I have been trying to follow the same rule as far as comparing the carapace to the abdomen size. They look about the same definitely not bigger, I will just try and wait a week inbetween feeds as long as there abdomens don’t look small. Do you think maybe the heat is why they are out of there burrows now. I do have air conditioning so it’s not like my house is really hot but it’s warmer then usual I guess

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
As a result overfeeding is common in captivity.
That’s what I meant to say at the end!

I have been trying to follow the same rule as far as comparing the carapace to the abdomen size. They look about the same definitely not bigger, I will just try and wait a week inbetween feeds as long as there abdomens don’t look small. Do you think maybe the heat is why they are out of there burrows now. I do have air conditioning so it’s not like my house is really hot but it’s warmer then usual I guess
Sounds like a good plan; and yes increased temperatures can increase activity levels

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When burrowing animals are hot, like Ts tortoises etc. they go underground.

likely hungry, not always though

also as it warms up so does their movement and hunger

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Aussie slings and juvies? I wouldn't worry too much about overfeeding them, they tend to grow pretty fast. If you could clarify which species, that would help.

Hanging outside the burrow is the most typical hungry behavior, unless its a post molt stretch. I would feed em twice or three times a week until they refuse, but that`s just me. I like to maximize growth in younger specimens.