Tarantulas & Scorpions opinions on this book.

Arachnomaniac1990

Arachnopeon
I wanted to buy a book to brush up on some more info.
Anyone got any experience with
Tarantulas & Scorpions, General Care and Maintenance?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
To be honest, I doubt there are any books with more info than what you can find here.

But if you just want to read a book. The Tarantulas Keepers Guide is a good read. Kinda outdated on some stuff but still a good read.

Arachnomaniac1990

Arachnopeon
To be honest, I doubt there are any books with more info than what you can find here.

But if you just want to read a book. The Tarantulas Keepers Guide is a good read. Kinda outdated on some stuff but still a good read.
Thanks for the info.
I already read TKG so I was looking for something new.
I know this is where the most info is at but I was just looking for somthing good to read.
So it isn't total garbage?

Theneil

Arachnoprince
The book i have seen most reccomended (A couple different times by Tom Patterson) is
Tarantulas
Breeding Experience & Wildlife.

I own the book. But to be honest i haven’t taken the time to read it yet (i am super slow...) but i have picked through the breeding section on a few occasions to see what to expect.
F2071790-604A-48F5-A813-7D82A44102FE.jpeg

Jacobob

Arachnopeon
The book i have seen most reccomended (A couple different times by Tom Patterson) is
Tarantulas

I own the book. But to be honest i haven’t taken the time to read it yet (i am super slow...) but i have picked through the breeding section on a few occasions to see what to expect.
View attachment 331900
That’s a good one! Also this one. Both are very informative!

Attachments

Arachnomaniac1990

Arachnopeon
Well both are good recommendations but neither are what I meant.
I mean Arachnomania, I can't figure out how to share a picture but if you do a quick google search you will know what I mean.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I have that one also. (again havent actually read it :bag:)

That one lookes like it is going to go a little bit more into the science and taxonomy of them. iirc there is a chapter about venom research as well.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is a very old book, with outdated info and husbandry techniques. Unless you're looking to acquire every single book about tarantula care, you can safely pass and invest in a more modern book, such as the one mentioned above in this thread. However, these old books still have a use. They're like time machines, they give us a glimpse at where the hobby was all those years ago. Let's say that we've come a long way since. To purchase it or not is up to you.

My 2 cents.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
At the time of publication, however, it was one of the better books available, in my opinion. I have it, but I'd have to dig it out and see how badly it has aged information wise

Arachnomaniac1990

Arachnopeon
This is a very old book, with outdated info and husbandry techniques. Unless you're looking to acquire every single book about tarantula care, you can safely pass and invest in a more modern book, such as the one mentioned above in this thread. However, these old books still have a use. They're like time machines, they give us a glimpse at where the hobby was all those years ago. Let's say that we've come a long way since. To purchase it or not is up to you.

My 2 cents.
Its a bit of both, I am somewhat of a collector when it comes to books about Arachnids and Invertebrates in general.
And just like you said, most old books are out of print so preserving them means in a couple of years from now we can look back and see where te hobby was decades ago, also I think sometimes they contain some correct and useful information along with the more outdated info.
Thanks for your opinion and advice.

Tarantulas

View attachment 331900
I'd have to look into those.
Looks like two very informative books.
I'll buy them too sooner or later down the line.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: