1. The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews & reports. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Tarantulas & Scorpions in Captivity by Russ Gurley

Discussion in 'Book and Magazine Reviews' started by Gsc, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Gsc

Gsc Arachnobaron Old Timer

Advertisement
    *Great*

Tarantulas & Scorpions in Cativity
    By Russ Gurley

$8.95 shipped
    www.livingartpublishing.com

102 Pages
    69 Full Color Photographs

WOW, I just recieved my copy today from Russ...This book is filled with everything from breeding to care of spiderlings.... Lots of species accounts... beautiful photography, etc..

Russ outdid himself again. I haven't had a chance to fully read through it yet (still at work as I type this), but I'll add more coments later.

You'll need this book for your library! I know I'll be carrying it!

Graham Criglow
    Strange Cargo Inverts

UPDATE: I finished reading through the book. This is a must have for anyone getting into Tarantulas/Scorpions. Great basic care info along with alot of helpful hints. I learned a few more tricks I need to try! Nice photography- good layout! I think Russ did a great job!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  2. Brian F.

Brian F. Arachnobaron Old Timer

Agreed. Just picked this one up today & I've already read almost half of it. Great info. & great photos.

Brian

3. brigebane

brigebane Arachnoprince Old Timer

I agree on the Tarantula end of it. I did notice some minor problems with the locality chart of some of the scorpions but who am I kidding anyway, I picked this book up for the Tarantula info in the first place and wasn't disappointed. Also plenty of eye candy.

4. quinquestriatus

quinquestriatus Arachnosquire

I liked the tarantula info and pics but, I'm more of a scorpion person myself. And I was very disappionted in the scorpion section of the book. I'll still give him props on the tarantula section of this book though.

5. Michael Jacobi

Michael Jacobi RETIRED/RARELY USE AB Arachnosupporter

I will write a lengthier review when time permits, but I just wanted to add that I am selling this book very well and getting positive feedback from my customers. Russ informs me that the tarantula and scorpion bit is condensed from the "big book" that will eventually be released and will cover most invertebrates (arachnids and insects alike) that are kept by hobbyists. I am reviewing the manuscript presently and I am sure the comprehensive volume will be well received.

I am sure it would be more beneficial to Russ if any of you who feel there are shortcomings with the scorpion material presented would be a little more specific in your comments. He's a member of this forum (rgurley) and you can PM him directly.

Finally, there were a few outdated or misspelled scientific names of tarantulas in the TSC book, but these will be corrected for the "big book." The most obvious error was referring to Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens as a humid forest dweller when it is, in fact, native to extremely dry (xeric) scrub in northern Venezuela. I have already made Russ aware of this mistake and it will be fixed.

All in all, Russ is to be commended for taking the time to create a book that is an important contribution to arachnoculture. He was limited by squeezing info on tarantulas and scorpions in a small format inexpensive hobby book. I hope we will all be surprised by the scope of the full volume.

Cheers, Michael

6. cacoseraph

cacoseraph ArachnoGod Old Timer

overall, i really liked this book

there were a few technical differences that i saw. The cyanopubescens thing has already been brought up.

The main difference is from a common name, so i almost hesitate to bring it up. Gurley has Androctonus species listed as Deathstalkers. I've never seen that before... always thought Androctonus was thick/fat tail and Parabuthus was the "other" one and Leirus was deathstalker.

But that is really fairly minor, as everybody should know by now that common names create more problems than they solve :)

The care suggested for scorps and taras seems to be very good. There is a good section on breeding.

This book comes very close to being half scorpion/half tarantula, with a good amount of information (including decent number of species accounts for both scorp and tara). The pictures are consistently excellent, and there is even at least one pic from "our own" Dan Read, unless there is a crazy coincidence...

i would highly suggest this book to anyone. It makes a good intelligent introduction book.

generally it seems to be quite affordable too. i will probably get the "big book" when it comes out if it is anything like this book

7. JungleGuts

JungleGuts Arachnoprince Old Timer

overall i thought this was a great book. Some typos that should of been avoided but otherwise it was good. Great T section and i enjoyed the Scorpion section quite a bit. Perhaps missing a few more popular scorpion species, but other than that i give it a B+, great book.

8. Bill S

Bill S Arachnoprince Old Timer

Just got the book yesterday, and my first tarantula the day before that. So, from a beginner's point of view, the book is great. I can't comment on the scorpion section, since I haven't read it yet, but the tarantula section provides a lot of good basic information in an easy-to-locate form. Only errors I've spotted are very minor - like defining the term 'penultimate' as 'final' (Final would be ultimate, penultimate actually means "next to the last".) But as far as I know, the spider info is good.

If he's working on a bigger and better book, I'll be watching for it. This one serves to whet the appetite, but I can already see that I'll want more. One suggestion as to what I'd enjoy seeing in a more complete book would be charts comparing characteristics of the animals - size, aboreal vs terrestrial, temperment, environmental requirements, etc. And of course, more species of spiders. (Which I'm sure was already planned.)

9. Georgf

Georgf Arachnopeon

Great Book

Living in South Africa I struggled for many weeks to find any book on keeping Taranulas as pets.

Finally I picked up a copy of Gurley's book and found it great as a beginner.
    Picks up on all the basics and some of my questions that where left unanswered by my pet supplier.

A great introduction that should be compulsory for every beginner!

10. JColt

JColt Arachnoknight Old Timer

Recieved my copy today. Very well written and the Pictures and layout really stand out. Very well put together. Only bad thing is there wasnt more. Hopefully he comes out with the big books soon as I will grab them.

11. Sooner

Sooner Arachnoknight

It's been a few years since the 'precursor' book to the 'big book'. Does anyone have any idea when it's coming out?

Oh and this book is great!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.